Henry Harris

Mar 10, 1998
Thanks George--got your account and am thrilled to have it. We've put a lot of work into Baumann and this account helps a lot. Also got the most recent photo set. If you come across anything else on John Baumann please let us know. We've been working on tracking down a collateral line of his family and hopefully that will shed some light on his early life once we find them.

My best,
Phil

Dec 7, 2000
Brian and Phil,

My info on Baumann came from Hermann Soldner. I once asked him how he estimated any age for Baumann. This conversation took place a long time ago, but as far as I recall it, he did say that he estimated the age with reference to Baumann daughter's age. Where Hermann got his information from I would have no way of knowing.

Either way, unless Baumann was remarkably young looking for his age, he might not be the "young" friend that came into the cabin while Mrs. Harris and Futrelle sat waiting.

Baumann or not, here's the quote anyway. This is after the ship struck the berg, and Jaques Futrelle has just looked out of the cabin as Henry Harris came to the door (this seems to corroborate with Rene's 1932 account):

quote:

"What's happened?" he asked.
"Oh, nothing, I guess," sais Jaques, "but I suppose we'd better get out and see what's doing." As he and Harris started down the passage, I ran over to Mrs. Harris's cabin. The confusion on board grew worse. We tried to reassure each other, but I for one was seized with a bit of trembling which I could not control. Just then a young man, a friend of the Harris's, came into their cabin where Mrs. Harris and I were sitting. He was pale. I asked him to tell me what had happened. He said:
"I DON'T BELIEVE IT'S SERIOUS,
but we seem to have brushed against an iceberg."
Before this had fully sunk in, Jaques and Mr. Harris were back. They said that they heard the iceberg story, but that the officers had closed the water-tight compartments, had examined everything below and had reported that there was no danger.
There followed a time which I do not fully remember ...

Regards,

Daniel.​

Brian Meister

Mar 19, 1999
Dear George,

Have been away from the computer for most of
the day yesterday. Thanks for the source
material on John Baumann. As Phil has said,
this helps immensely. Glad to see you have
returned to ET, and thanks for the photo
assistance.

Best Regards,

Brian

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Hi George,

Just a quick note to say thank you again for the Baumann article. Much appreciated! I'm sure others would be delighted to see it too, but I can also fully understand any reluctance you may have at this stage to present your source publicly. However, I'm sure everyone would be delighted to see it worked into an article of some form a little further down the line.

Brian -- Can I be particularly prying and ask who, out of Fletcher Lambert Williams and William F. Hoyt is the passenger (besides Baumann, of course) for whom you have no age as yet?

Best Regards,
Ben

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Thanks for the info, Phil. In which case, I'm very impressed to hear you've tracked down FLW's birth cert (and at least have Hoyt's age)! Great stuff, as always :)

Mar 10, 1998
Ben,
There's actually a memorial tombstone for Hoyt stating that he was born in 1870--so he was either 41 or 42. Fletch Williams didn't have any children but we've tracked down descendants of his step-children and have some great photos and, of course, dates from them as well. He was a tough one to track.

Have a great weekend.
Phil

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Hey Phil,

Info on Hoyt is most appreciated, and photos of Lambert-Williams? That's easily on an Edith Evans scale in my book! Good job!

Hope you enjoy your weekend.

Ben

Brian Meister

Mar 19, 1999
Dear Ben,

I actually found the birth information from
another source which took some time to dig out.
Was able to confirm it through documentation
later. I was quite pleased with myself over
the Fletcher Lambert Williams find. The
pleasure will only be exceeded by being able
to share his whole story very soon.

Thanks for your support.

Brian

Jeanne Herzig

Feb 15, 2006
First of all, thanks Daniel for answering. I really appreciate all the help I can get.
Brian, George and Philip,
I am trying to get any info I can obtain on John Baumann. My great grandmother was Anna Baumann and she always hinted at a relationship to a passenger on the Titanic. Her family was in the trade business and her uncle also had a business in New York and made several voyages back and forth to Europe. You speak of a wife, daughter and sister. Can you provide me with names and any other info you may have on them. If I make the connection I will be happy to shed some light on the family of this reclusive passenger.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Jeanne, this is a very old thread and the three people you are addressing directly made their postings here nearly 5 years ago. George Behe is no longer a member. Phillip Gowan and Brian Meister haven't logged into the forum for several months, but you might be able to contact them directly through the ET message service (click on their names in the left hand column).