Her Name, Titanic

Mr. Titanic

Mar 10, 2021
Oh thats not my book. I grabbed that pic off the Ebay page that was advertising it. I don't have any of Pellegrino's books. I've only read excerpts from his books. I never bought any because of all the bru ha ha that people wrote about his books. It's why I have refrained from commenting on his stuff other than pointing out what others have said because you can't trash somebodies work if you haven't read it. But I did read some of the comments/reviews from other readers and they pretty much aligned with what you said. As for Ebay I recently canceled my account with them. They pissed me off so no yankee dollars from me anymore...:cool:
I wouldn't buy into any of the nonsense and highly recommend Pellegrino's books. "Farewell, Titanic" may be a good one for you, since he was adamant about including a sources list (I actually advised against it, preferring for a longer book, but he shortened it in order to include a thorough list). He ended up removing some Violet Jessop content and published a stand-alone chapter as "The Californian Incident" separately from the original draft, instead, to make room for the list.

It's also his highest rated Titanic book, presumably for this reason, although Pellegrino has provided sources for other claims in the past. I admire the desire to refrain from bashing works one hasn't read, although why do so at all, IMO.

That said, one can never blame the authors for such errors.

As for books I am reading - I happen to have two copies of "Report Into the Loss" by a certain someone here, one to keep fresh and one to read ;) And I am loving it.

Reactions: 1 user

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
As for books I am reading - I happen to have a two copies of "Report Into the Loss" by a certain someone here, one to keep fresh and one to read ;) And I am loving it.
Brilliant piece of work. I like to read its contents slowly and mull over to digest the meaning. pp118-119 (of the hardcover) for example explains the reason for the sudden 'lurch' towards the end and also the mechanism of the low-angle break. The Fig 6-28 graph is very illustrative and explanatory.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
I wouldn't buy into any of the nonsense and highly recommend Pellegrino's books. "Farewell, Titanic" may be a good one for you, since he was adamant about including a sources list (I actually advised against it, preferring for a longer book, but he shortened it in order to include a thorough list). He ended up removing some Violet Jessop content and published a stand-alone chapter as "The Californian Incident" separately from the original draft, instead, to make room for the list.

It's also his highest rated Titanic book, presumably for this reason, although Pellegrino has provided sources for other claims in the past. I admire the desire to refrain from bashing works one hasn't read, although why do so at all, IMO.

That said, one can never blame the authors for such errors.

As for books I am reading - I happen to have two copies of "Report Into the Loss" by a certain someone here, one to keep fresh and one to read ;) And I am loving it.
Agreed, his books are right up there with works like sam’s, George Behe’s, and more :)

Mr. Titanic

Mar 10, 2021
Brilliant piece of work. I like to read its contents slowly and mull over to digest the meaning. pp118-119 (of the hardcover) for example explains the reason for the sudden 'lurch' towards the end and also the mechanism of the low-angle break. The Fig 6-28 graph is very illustrative and explanatory.
I am the same way. I believe the break occurred at 25 degrees or so, but have not yet read Samuel’s analysis in the book. Will be interesting to see that perspective.

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
www.titanicology.com
Report Into the Loss was bashed by someone who never went beyond reading the cover. Why? Because the title has, "Report Into the Loss of the SS Titanic" and said person, a self proclaimed know it all, said that the ship's official name was RMS Titanic, not SS Titanic. Said person was unaware, nor did he care to know, that period publications, including the official inquiry reports, had referred to the ship as 'the “Titanic” (S.S.)' [in the British report], and 'S. S. “TITANIC.”' [in the American report].

But bashing books, articles, even documentaries, without the person actually reading or seeing it, seems to be more common than most people realize. You see this on FB almost every day, not to mention on this forum on occasion as well.

Reactions: 2 users

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
I believe the break occurred at 25 degrees or so, but have not yet read Samuel’s analysis in the book.
Sam explains very clearly the reasons for the low angle break. It is in fact, simple in terms of reasoning. Look at the graph (Fig 6-28, p119) that calculates the stress on the keel (Bending effect) against the ships angle of trim. The maximum stress would be at around 12 degrees. Sam's analogy of the baseball bat to understand this is also very apt.

I tried Sam's experiment with a 5-foot curtain rod made out of heavy duty but flexible plastic. Holding it horizontally in my fist caused quite a lot of discomfort as well as a down-bend of the rod itself. When I raised the free end of the rod, both the pain in my wrist and the bend on the rod increased till about 15 degrees, after which they steadily diminished and disappeared when the rod became vertical.

Sam also did an article about the subject: Why A Low Angle Break?

Last edited:

Mr. Titanic

Mar 10, 2021
Report Into the Loss was bashed by someone who never went beyond reading the cover. Why? Because the title has, "Report Into the Loss of the SS Titanic" and said person, a self proclaimed know it all, said that the ship's official name was RMS Titanic, not SS Titanic. Said person was unaware, nor did he care to know, that period publications, including the official inquiry reports, had referred to the ship as 'the “Titanic” (S.S.)' [in the British report], and 'S. S. “TITANIC.”' [in the American report].

But bashing books, articles, even documentaries, without the person actually reading or seeing it, seems to be more common than most people realize. You see this on FB almost every day, not to mention on this forum on occasion as well.
I saw that, and chuckled. It's almost as terrible as individuals who leave 1-star reviews because Amazon sent them an item damaged in the mail. Shame on the author for not being present night and day at the printers to personally ensure each order was fulfilled to maximum quality. Nevermind that "SS Titanic" was written on the plaques of all the lifeboats, and is equally valid. I'll never understand people that scour entire tomes of well-researched and original material for typos and trivia and miss the entire point and effort of the volume in an attempt to discredit it. I have witnessed this time and again with Dr. Pellegrino's books, overlooking downblast theory, his peer-reviewed research with Roy Cullimore and entire file of records from Walter Lord, in favor of petty nonsense. For example, a reviewer accused Pellegrino of claiming he had sailed with Ballard on the Titanic discovery mission and being a liar, when in fact, Pellegrino's book explicitly states he sailed with Ballard after he discovered Titanic, to the East Pacific Rise on the Melville, a completely different expedition, different ship, and different ocean basin.

One really must be dense to miss that. And yet, a certain NYT reviewer did. All of this behavior is toxic to the community.

Nov 14, 2005
"One really must be dense to miss that. And yet, a certain NYT reviewer did. All of this behavior is toxic to the community."

I can believe that. The once great paper of record has fallen to kitty litter box liner status. Gone are the days when their motto was "If your mother tells you she loves you, get a second source".

Reactions: 1 users