Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Hey! I hope y'all are having a nice day. So, I've been fascinated by the Titanic since I was a little kid. Seen the movies, docs, etc, multiple times. A question is, has an expedition ever fully explored and extensively photographed her Stern? I know it's all imploded and stuff, but some stuff has to remain, and with the hull open and shell plating blasted open in multiple areas, some interior may remain. I can't find any exploration of the stern anywhere. Everyone is focused on the Bow. (since its the most intact) If anyone has any links or whatever, I'm eternally grateful! (I'm a bit new, but again have loved Titanic since i was a little kid. I finally found a community that's active, I can't wait to interact and talk with y'all! Have a good day)

Joe L

Jun 9, 2020
Hi Cam! Welcome aboard. This is a GREAT place to be and to research the RMS Titanic. You will NOT get bored, trust me. I'm new here as well, and since I've joined, I've lost many hours of sleep pouring over all of this wonderful, yet saddening information. If you haven't seen it yet, here's another place where you can get lots of handy info (Titanic Facts). Enjoy!

Reactions: 1 user
Mar 18, 2008
Germany
RMST have send ROV Robin into the stern in the 1990s. The rooms it was inside were empty as everything was blown out. Several parts were badly damaged so that they could not get deep inside. Cameron tried to go into the Turbine Room but could not do as it was too risky.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Hi Cam! Welcome aboard. This is a GREAT place to be and to research the RMS Titanic. You will NOT get bored, trust me. I'm new here as well, and since I've joined, I've lost many hours of sleep pouring over all of this wonderful, yet saddening information. If you haven't seen it yet, here's another place where you can get lots of handy info (Titanic Facts). Enjoy!
thanks! Nice to meet you too. I've been in love with Titanic since I was a little boy. After so many years of learning so much info about her, I've got all nautical terms and stuff down. But I learned yesterday that "forecastle" is pronounced "foc'sle". Goes to show you're always learning! When you think you know everything about Titanic, another layer comes out of the darkness[/QUOTE]

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
RMST have send ROV Robin into the stern in the 1990s. The rooms it was inside were empty as everything was blown out. Several parts were badly damaged so that they could not get deep inside. Cameron tried to go into the Turbine Room but could not do as it was too risky.
they actually went inside, like as in a remaining hallway? can't seem to find the specific footage in any of the 90s docs :(

May 3, 2005
O
K
thanks! Nice to meet you too. I've been in love with Titanic since I was a little boy. After so many years of learning so much info about her, I've got all nautical terms and stuff down. But I learned yesterday that "forecastle" is pronounced "foc'sle". Goes to show you're always learning! When you think you know everything about Titanic, another layer comes out of the darkness
[/QUOTE]
Hey! I hope y'all are having a nice day. So, I've been fascinated by the Titanic since I was a little kid. Seen the movies, docs, etc, multiple times. A question is, has an expedition ever fully explored and extensively photographed her Stern? I know it's all imploded and stuff, but some stuff has to remain, and with the hull open and shell plating blasted open in multiple areas, some interior may remain. I can't find any exploration of the stern anywhere. Everyone is focused on the Bow. (since its the most intact) If anyone has any links or whatever, I'm eternally grateful! (I'm a bit new, but again have loved Titanic since i was a little kid. I finally found a community that's active, I can't wait to interact and talk with y'all! Have a good day)
Hi Cam ! And welcome !

I just checked back and found I have been on this website since 2005.
But before that I had no interest in Titanic and mainly got the interest started from this website and the 1997 movie.
But the movie that Titanic fanatics seem to think is the best is the 1958 "A Night To Remember."
I had also seen only one Titanic movie before.
That was the 1953 "Titanic".
That was all I knew about the Titanic.
And that is not exactly a movie to watch it you are looking for historic accuracy. ;-(

But you never stop learning on this website.
I was a Petty Officer in the USN for about half of my four years in the Navy but had never even heard about a lot , if maybe , most, if not all , of the terms, words and subjects discussed by the experts on this website.

Pay attention to Jim Currie and Samuel Halpearn and you'll learn a lot.

Example: To estimate the distance to the horizon at sea in miles, multiply a constant of 1.24 times the square root you are above the level of the sea in feet. I wish I had known that when I was in the Navy. I knew that the reason that crow's nests and radar antennas were up so high was so they could see farther. I was familiar with the tables for the radar but had never seen that equation before.

Something I did know was that Boatswain is pronounced Bosun. :)

I was an Electronic Technician. (ET2-almost an ET1- missed it by a few months) but not much of a sailor. :-(

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Ok, so I found a site with all the expeditions, and it has all the 90's expeditions as well. Any idea of which one are most likely to have them? I'll try to see if I can find em on YouTube.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
If you mean dive footage, you will not find them online. There are only the written reports.
RMST sadly has not made much of the footage public and the parts shown at Titanic exhibition were never published outside.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
well f. I appreciate the help! one last thing- are there any other interiors that have been explored, besides the Engine Room, or footage? have a nice evening by the way