Herald of Free Enterprise anniversary

C

Cassie Lougheed

Thanks, Noel.
happy.gif
I've seen it now, sorry for making a repetitive topic.

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
The three messages which precede this one originally appeared in a separate thread; they were moved here to keep all Herald of Free Enterprise messages together.

I had a dream last night about being inside the wreck of the Herald of Free Enterprise after salvage. Being on the ship in childhood and memories of the telelvision footage of the interior of the wreck after the disaster probably came together to produce the vivid and disturbing scenes I saw in my mind's eye last night. I still have the wreck report in my bedside table drawer.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Disturbing photos there...another ferry tragedy. Like the poor old Salem Express in the Red Sea, with her unlaunched lifeboats still sitting upright on the seafloor.

Be very interested to see that photo, Stuart. Liferings with the ship's name on them make great backdrops for photos - I've got quite a few of them myself - but they can assume a very different character in the wake of an accident.

malcolm smith

Feb 2, 2003
March 6th 1987 On this day Me my wife & daughter where booked on The Herald of Free Enterprise.
As like so meny times before on the £1 day trips to france or Belgium, we where looking forward to the day in Belgium.
Put for some reason the booking office cocked the bookings up, & put us on a ferry to france.
We kicked up one hell of a fuss at the time,as we where looking forward to going to Zeebrugge.
But try as may, we could not get on the Herald of Free Enterprise so we ended up in france.
To this day we wonder what might have been if the booking office had not cocked it up.
But now to this day we are all glad that the booking office did.
It as not stopped us sailing on any of the ferry's.
your's
malcolm smith

Mar 28, 2002
2006 marks the 19th anniversary of the worst British peacetime maritime disaster since the Iolaire in 1919. Up and down the country survivors and loved ones and friends of the 546 people aboard must be going through some emotions today.

Lest we forget.

Roland Evans

Jul 12, 2006
In 1987 I was nine years old but I still remember exactly where I was when I heard the news on that dark October night. My family and I were regulars on the Dover-Calais route for our holidays and these were almost always operated by one of the blue ribband spirit class vessels, namely the Spirit, Pride & Herald of free Enterprise. The news that one had capsized stunned me.

I have researched what happened and can confirm that the Herald or Flushing Range as she had been renamed in accordance with martime tradition was salvaged by SMIT (the same company who salvaged the Tricolor) who towed her back to Zeebrugge where the vehicles and bodies were taken ashore. She was then towed to Alang in India where she was broken up and sold for scrap.

What happened to the sisters? Well…….

SPIRIT
Very quickly after the disaster P&O, owners of Townsend Thorsesen, understandably needed to rebrand to maintain customer confidence. To do this the Townsend Thoresen name and livery was dropped in favour of the now familiar Blue livery and P&O European ferries name. The naming convention was also changed to “Pride of……”.
By the end of 1987 the Spirit had been rebranded as “Pride Of Kent”. She stayed this way until after the merger with Stena line when in 1992 she was again renamed “P&OSL Kent”. Still not happy with this again they renamed her in 2002 to “PO Kent”. Eventually she was sold to GA Ferries in 2003 and given a new bow. She now operates as “Anthi Marina” between Pireaus, Rhodes & Kos in Grecce.

112832.jpg

112833.jpg

PRIDE
For the same reason the Pride was also rebranded in 1988 to “Pride of Bruges”. She continued to operate as this until 1999 when she was renamed “P&OSL Picardy”. P&O sold her in 2001 to Transeuropa ferries and to this day she operates between Ramsate and Ostend as “Oleandar”

112834.jpg

112835.gif

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
The Guardian has an article about changes made to ferries after the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/ Follow the link to the story.

Part of the article sounds familiar.

"If you are out to sea, the best lifeboat is the ship itself," says Mr Brookes.

David Hurrell

Jul 14, 2007
My grandfather was a survivor of the herald, he was a foreign exchange banker. I have lots of knowledge and stories of that terrible night. I work on-board the Pride of Dover at present P&O ferries. Any questions?

Paul Rogers

Jun 1, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Hello David.

Iain Yardley may have lots of questions for you; he is very interested in the Herald. I'll drop him an email to let him know you're on the Board, just in case he's missed your post.

Regards,
Paul.