Herbert Selpin's 1943 Titanic

Feb 14, 2011
Thanks for the heads up Mark, I just watched it on the Turner Classic Movies channel- and confess it's the first time I've seen this particular Titanic movie. I have heard dreadful things about this film, and was expecting the worst-Despite it being an anti British propaganda film, and perhaps the most historicaly inaccurate Titanic movie ever made- i found it interesting- One scene that stood out was the opulant dining room being flooded to the ceiling by water.....

ps- I hear there is a dvd of a Titanic movie out that has as a bonus feature stunning interior footage of the olympic taken from a promo film in the 1920s- Would that be on the dvd release of this film?

regards

tarn Stephanos

Jim Hathaway

Dec 18, 2004
<<ps->>

Kino Video offers a dvd with the Olympic film as an extra-
It is available through the Kino Video website, and I believe, through Amazon.

Nov 26, 2005
I would highly recommend the DVD of the 1943 German film. Especially for the Olympic footage. Quite amazing to see passengers in motion on the actual ship and all the rooms the video features. Great music for the Olympic video too. I hope you get hold of it and enjoy it. The movie itself isn't half bad either. VERY clear propaganda though. I'm not sure I've ever seen a propaganda film that was quite so bold. Enjoy!

M

Matthew Bird

only saw a bit of the movie, didn't see passengers on the ship when it sank, just a load of people swimming and being pulled into lifeboats.

Does the film imply that they were all saved?

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Matthew. I'm a bit late, but I've only just seen the movie.

At the end, a statement appears on the screen attributing the deaths of 1,500 people to British greed for profit. The movie ends with the German officer, Petersen, looking disappointed when Captain Smith is blamed for the disaster while Ismay escapes punishment.

The images of the ship at the end are a bit crude.

There's no point in analysing the film for facts, but it does have some little quirks. The White Star badges on the officer's caps are back-to-front. The words on the telegraphs are sometimes in English and sometimes in German. The Marconigram forms carry the White Star pennant.

Don't miss the tamest striptease on film!

Nov 26, 2005
>>didn't see passengers on the ship when it sank, just a load of people swimming and being pulled into lifeboats.<<

That's not what I meant to say, and reading back on my message it looks like I'm referring to the ship in the movie.

I said:

>>Quite amazing to see passengers in motion on the actual ship and all the rooms the video features.<<

I meant the passengers seen in motion during the Olympic advertisement footage that is a special feature for the DVD.

Sorry for the late reply and the misunderstanding.