Hermann Soldner's "RMS Titanic, Passenger and Crew List

Mar 10, 1998
This week I received my copy of Hermann Soldner's new booklet: "RMS Titanic, Passenger and Crew List, 10 April 1912-15 April 1912"--Hermann has done an outstanding job of putting together the most complete passenger and crew list to date using a very wide range of sources. The booklet is softbound with a very attractive cover and drawing of the ship. It is 48 pages long and includes separate alphabetical listings of the passengers by class, followed by a crew list that contains more complete names than any I've seen. The lists include the names of each individual, age at the time of the disaster, dates of birth and death, residence, port from which they embarked and nationality. Hermann is really to be commended for his efforts and the booklet is a very worthwhile buy for those of us interested in the people of Titanic. I think the price is $20 and I'm sure Hermann can offer details on ordering--and I believe it will be sold through the British Titanic Society as well. Congrats Hermann--I'm very proud of my copy and I know others will be too.

Phil

Dec 13, 1999
Hello Michael, Well, if it's of interest, I'm stocking the books and currently they are on sale from me. Only problem is that my bank charges a horrendous amount to convert $ cheques but I can take US & Canadian $ Bills. I think that the exchange rate is around $1.40c. to our Pound Sterling and they are selling at £13 Sterling inclusive of postage and package to the US.
Anyone interested can contact me on [email protected].

Geoff

D

Daniel Rosenshine

Hello,

I ordered my copy directly from Hermann and I think the book is absolutely sensational. Yes I did pay US $20, but I would have paid more, its worth it! The book is outstanding, well researched and well presented. It is an ongoing research so new dates will be added as they become public knowledge and come to Hermann's attention. I give it five stars, it is by far the best passenger and crew list ever seen anywhere.

Daniel.

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
To Geoff - I will gladly send you a twenty on Tuesday if you'll email me your address and a hamburger today. I yam what I yam and dat's all dat I yam! I'm Popeye de...Sorry, got carried away there.

Best regards,
Cook

H

Hermann Söldner

Phil, thank you very much for your brief but detailed description of my booklet.

Anybody who wants to have a signed copy may contact me at

[email protected]

Finally I want give a bit more information. I tried now for some years to determine how many persons were on board of the Titanic in that fateful night and give them their correct names. In the end I think this work has been done. My list contains all 1318 passengers and 891 crew. This is the figure White Star had in 1915 after an exhausting research.

I had a few contributors to that list giving their information, among those are Phillip Gowan, Brian Ticehurst, Alan Ruffman and Günter Bäbler.

A preview of this list can be seen on the web at

www.lostliners.de

Hermann Söldner

H

Hermann Söldner

Dear Jan,

I have a John Edward Maguire on my list. He
was from 30 Spruce Street, Brockton, Mass.
He was born on February 2nd, 1882 and died
in the sinking.

Hermann

H

Hermann Söldner

I am sorry, but I came not through to that site, whatever I tried. I know this article. It appeared in the "The Bulletin" in San Francisco on April 20th, 1912. White Star always listed Maguire as Maguire. His ticket bore the name Maguire. The last place of abode was Kings Hotel, Kings Street, Cheapside, London.

Hermann

S

susan pearce

Could you tell me Hermann is my Great uncle, Eric Barker - 1st class Saloon Steward on the list. I thought Ernest T. Barker was the one. Although, now I'm not so sure?

Sue

H

Hermann Söldner

Dear Susan,

I have only three Barkers on my list:

Albert Vale Barker, 19, single, Assistant Baker
Ernest T. Barker, 37, married (?), Saloon Steward first class
Reginald Lomond Barker, 40, single, Second Purser.

The body of Ernest T. Barker was recovered by the
Mackay Bennett (#159). Some addresses were found on his body:

Ernest Barker, Pound Tree Inn, Pound Tree Road, Southampton
Miss Con Barker, 4 Grand Parade, Green Lanes, Harringay N.
Miss "N." Bernbridge, 1 Anglesea Road, Shirley, Southampton.

Hermann

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hermann, just want to say that I have a copy of your passanger/crew list and it's an impressive peice of work. As researching the thing couldn't have been easy, I was wondering how long it took you to put it all together.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

H

Hermann Söldner

Michael,

thank you for your kind words. It took me two and a half years to bring this list into the shape it has now. It is complete regarding the persons. Still some details wait to be known.

Hermann

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
You're welcome. Perhaps you can clear something up concerning Miss Olga Lundin. Your list places her in second while the ET list places her in third and mentions that she may have upgraded to second class. I'm hoping you found something to clear this one up as at least one other board member would like to know. Thanks again.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

H

Hermann Söldner

I placed Olga Lundin in second class because of two pieces of information, one given by Wetterholm in his book (Edition 1999 page 256) and the other given by Lawrence Beesley (Winnocur version, page 21).

Wetterholm gives (translated):
"In third class she shared, according to her own statement, a cabin with Gerda Dahlberg. Olga got very seriously seasick and her fiancé Nils paid for the price difference to second class."

Beesley wrote:
"Another interesting man was traveling steerage, but had placed his wife in the second cabin: he would climb the stairs leading from the steerage to the second deck and talk affectionately with his wife across the low gate which separated them."

Further he tells that he thought they never met on Sunday night. Later he met her but not him on the Carpathia.

According to a letter she wrote home she told about the moment she had to leave her fiancé when she was lowered with the life boat.

Hermann

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Hermann:
Thanks very much for clearing something up. At one time I thought that the passengers of different classes who were meeting each other were Susan Webber and James Webber, who by some reports, were brother and sister. Your version makes much more sense.