Heroes and heroines

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Hallo, Pat. Since not much is known about your grandfather, it would be appreciated if you could give us some details about his family and about his life before Titanic. Also do you have any idea who the survivors were who spoke to your grandmother - not their names perhaps, but were they local people? Passengers or crew members? And what, in more detail, did they tell her about him? It's interesting that your grandfather changed his name. Is it known why?

P

patrick toms

bob godfrey,has asked some pertinent questions which i will endeavour to answer,my grandfather was born in cobh co cork,and married my grandmother in poole dorset,in 1908,he went absent in malta from the mediteranean fleet,and was a quartermaster on the ss philadelphia of the american line,the coal was taken out of the philadelphia and put on the titanic and my grandfather along with 4 others was transferred to titanic,from ss philadelphia,he was one of these five who were passengers and crew,unique in that.My grandmother was seen by local people who were on the titanic from that area,and told about the incidents concerning,the sinking.she got a titanic pension of £3-10/- a week for life for her and two children,my uncle and my mother eileen shannon.
pat toms president shannon ulster titanic society

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Thank you for the info, Pat. Looking at the registries for Poole, Dorset, I see that your grandfather used his real name when he married. It's interesting that he went AWOL from the Royal Navy in the same year. That's maybe why he enlisted in the Merchant Navy under a different name? Your Grandmother was presumably Annie Matilda Gould, and your uncle was Leonard Shannon, born 1911? I don't know anything about a 'pension', but I've read that the family received a weekly allowance of £1 2s from the Titanic Relief fund. This was about the same as a seaman's pay. Was your Grandfather a seaman, or did he serve under another trade?

H

Holly Peterson

My favorite heroines have got to be Annie Funk and Ruth Becker.

jamie hague

Sep 24, 2008
Hi everyone! Dont forget the hero who opened the dog kennels, possibly Robert Williams Daniel? Also Captain Arthur Rostron forever

Tom McLeod

Sep 1, 2005
Just another quick praise for Inger's first post, that was well written and quite moving. A possible note in this is Roderick Chisum, Archie Frost and the rest of the Guarantee group, there is little report of them and may speak to efforts beyond the call of duty by many below decks.

H

Holly Peterson

I've also got to hand it to steward John Collins. As a teenage boy on his first ever ocean crossing, he took it upon himself to assist a woman with two small children during the final terrifying moments. Most young people, during such a difficult situation, would think entirely of saving themselves, but Collins did not hesitate to take the child in his arms and move towards a lifeboat. Unfortunately the child was not saved, but Collins made it to Collapsible B.

I've also read that, after spending hours in the freezing water wearing only a thin cotton vest and trousers, he was offered a thick fur coat by Emma Bliss, but gave it up to a woman wearing only a nightgown. Now that's admirable!

T

Talira Greycrest

In my opinion, Captain Smith was definitely a hero (though his decision to increase Titanic's speed wasn't a great idea). Think back a few years to when the Costa Concordia sank. Her captain jumped in the first lifeboat he could get to and left the passengers and crew behind to drown, but Captain Smith did the exact opposite. He put the lives of the passengers and crew before his own life.