Heroes

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Have to concur with Darren on this one. The selection in the bookstores is pretty slim these days, and likely to remain so. I expect if Preston's work on the Lusitania is ever made into a movie, you'll see a deluge of books and material on the subject, but once the fad dies, so will the literary selection. Hopefully, a few quality works will come out, but I'll be very careful about what I pick up.

May 28, 2001
Joke, lads, cool it, it was just a joke. Put it down to the stress of the Edinburgh Fringe. I agree the tide of interest has ebbed, but, like all tides, at least it's left some good stuff behind, like out of print books briefly being available, and I'll warrant some good new historians will have been brought into the fold. I suppose what I really meant was that like most of us who have been 'aboard' the Titanic for a long time, the interest level in our own little world hasn't changed. Actually, like Steve Santini, I'm not sure I liked having all these people suddenly take an interest (and suddenly becoming experts !) in the Titanic.

However, good things have come out of it. For example the exhibitions we are seeing in Scotland must have something to do with the resurgance of interest in the Titanic - the Belfast convention was a beautiful case in point where the city set out to reclaim the ship and secured government funding because they were able to point to the interest around the film.

Still as the memory of the film fades (and with any luck, the negatives) I believe the ship herself will reassert herself.

Susan

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
Michael and Darren,
So true!
Back in the 70's and 80's I could go into any second-hand bookstore in Portland,Or. and find a Titanic book.
But no longer.
Actually, I am glad the recent film has raised interest in Titanic and we have garnered a few more enthusiasts!
Their research has just begun and for them, excuse the pun, it is just the tip of the iceberg!!!
-Don

Adam McGuirk

May 19, 2002
And I am one of those enthusiasts that the movie started Don! I am not one who quit being interested when the hype dyed down, in fact my interst has really soared in the past year. I watch the movie sometimes, actually I did today, but I am mostly interested in the real thing, and thats why I am here.
Adam

S

sharon rutman

The problem with Titanic research in general is that this tends to be a very static subject--either the Titanic is pushed into the background for a long time or all of a sudden something major happens to generate fresh interest in her loss such as the Ballard expedition, controversey over her artifacts or the blockbuster Cameron flick winning all those Academy Awards. Here's my personal prediction--the next major rush of interest in the Titanic will occur in 20l2--the l00th anniversary of the sinking.

Adam McGuirk

May 19, 2002
Yes, because sometimes people have other things to worry about, or because they get interested in something else historical. Example...Pearl harbor, Civil War, etc. Remember that while we are major Titanic buffs, no matter if its a fad or not, that doesn't mean everyone in the world has to be a Titanic buff. Cameron's movie is what got me started, it came out when I was 10, but I didn't abondon my Titanic interest when the hype dyed down. Some people may have got a book when the movie came out, but then after reading the book, thier interest gradually decreased.
Adam

Jun 18, 2007
I could also point out that another reason for lack of interest amongst the general population is that there is truly very little going on in the Titanic community. A major revelation that would electrify the Titanic community could cause interest in the average shoopuf if it was translated into an accessible medium.

S

sharon rutman

The Titanic is no fad with me--you have to stick with her through thick and thin, even though that's not always easy as other things have a way of sneaking up on you(work, school, family, life, etc). I have to concur with Bob Ballard--there is no divorcing the Titanic- ever.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Kritina, I wouldn't say that very little is going on in the Titanic community. I would say that there is very little going on that grabs media attention, and that's quite a shame. Cameron's latest expedition to the wreck last year was groundbreaking in many ways. It was the single most thorough internal survey of the wreck accomplished by anyone and the information gleaned will literally be re-writing the books on the ship, how she was built and specifically how she differed from the Olympic. How much media attention did this grab?

Damned little.

Of course the events of 9-11 were a bit of a distraction, but I don't recall even one story in the media even befor that!

Sharon, I have to agree with you on the Titanic being no fad, at least not with me. The general public is another matter, but then John and Jane Q. Public's attention span is pretty short these days. For myself, I'm 42 1/2 and I've been interested since I was 8. When that ship grabs you, she never let's go.

Adam McGuirk

May 19, 2002
Michael and Sharon, the ship has grabbed me and kept its grap for four years, but remember Michael and Sharon, you can't really get on the public for not having some live long obsession with it. I think its fine for people to get into a fad and then leave it. I have gotten into fads before and then let go. Like I was reading alot on world war two about a year ago but then eventually quit reading about it. Some general public would rather study, civil war, world war 2, etc or just get into the Titanic for a little. Its just whatever floats your boat. It doesn't bother me that people had Titanic fads when the movie was out, because just because I am a major Titanic buff doesn't mean everyone in the world has to be.
Adam

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
Fad?
The day I consider my interest in Titanic and ships in general, as a fad, is the day I lay me down to rest.
Michael is one of our moderators, he has my respect and unending thanks for all that he and so............many others have given me.
I may be getting off the subject, but, I like the positive!!
Be cool, Don

Adam McGuirk

May 19, 2002
Don, my interest is not a fad, but with somepeople, when the movie came out had a brief interest that came and went, which is fine with me, people can have no titanic interest, a brief interest, or become buffs like we are.
Adam

C

Charlotte Fairley

Hi I dont know how to post a new messege but as I will only be using this site once, here will do. I am 25years old and have been very interested in the Titanic since I was 8yrs old, I even did a talk on her when I was 10 for my school! Any way I live in Australia and one of my mothers friends is a nurse. She told me a story about 6years ago, I no for sure that no one will believe any of what I am about to say but oh well here here goes anyway. Twenty years ago or so Dianne (the nurse) was careing for an elderly laby in our small town hospital when she started to talk about the Titanic. She said that her sister was on board the ship. She had a photo album with her and Dianne tells me that there was photos of the Titanic while she was on her last voyage. Also in the album were photos of the sinking. Dianne was not realy interested in any of this but she said she looked at them and listend anyway. The lady pased on and where the photos went I dont no. I guess when I was told this story I should have found out the ladys name and then looked for family members, but I didnt. Any way I no you will all say thats not possible and that I am talking rubbish, but I am only passing on what I was told. It would be nice if this photo album did exist somewhere in my town

S

sharon rutman

The public has almost no attention span at all. Just wait until 20l2--then the Titanic will become big news again on the l00th anniversary of the disaster. Until then it's going to be Titanic who?

Adam McGuirk

May 19, 2002
Sharon your probally right, but like I said, just because were buffs doesn't mean that the whole world has too be. I think the general public has bigger things to worry about.
Adam

Sarah Houtby

Oct 12, 2005
I was really T.O'd about the big hoopla surrounding the cameron flick. I've fell in love with Titanic when they discovered her in '85 (even though I was just a wee thing at the time) I read about her and became obsessed when I was 10 LONG before cameron's flick came out. Anyway, long story short, I was in a book store, and I grabbed about 10 Titanic books, the official transcripts, the Wyn Craig Wade book and others. The cashier said to me....this really irked me to no end...'um, you do know those aren't about the movie right?' then, to add insult to injury she snapped her gum in my face! Anyway, ranting aside, was there a point to this story? Oh right, I'm glad the cameron flick brought Titanic to the public eye (even if it was only people who wanted to learn about the ship Jack and Rose sailed on) so that we REAL, tried tested and true fans could get our paws on some serious reading material...as well as an inflatable Titanic with an inflatable iceberg.

H

Harold Douglas Willis

I was gripped by the Titanic "fever" in 1967 (I was eight years old) when I came across a book in my elementary school library entitled "Iceberg, Dead Ahead!" It was a short book about the International Ice Patrol and had several photos of the Titanic. A few weeks later, ABC showed the 1957 film "A Night to Remember" and I sat glued to the screen watching it (one of the last movies I watched on our 1959 B&W Magnavox T.V., in fact).

As for all the "fuss and feathers" surrounding the 1997 film . . . nothing (in my opinion) beats the charm and compact dignity of Walter Lord's 1955 book. I miss the sense of mystery I had as a young boy of 8 in not knowing every little detail of Titanic (although the Illustrated Titanic book was, and still is, stunning).

And, yes, the pop 24 hour media will go into overkill around April 2012 and drench everyone with "gavel to gavel" coverage of Titanic events and then fade into relative obscurity soon afterwards . . .