HG Lowe on Deck

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
Was 5th Officer Lowe on deck when the Titanic sailed from Southampton? I would like to know this to see if he would have seen any of the people from 2nd Class who went on the tour of the 1st Class areas. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that they went onto the bridge as it was getting ready to leave Southampton. Was he there at that time, or was he off duty? Would he have participated in the tours, or was that the duty of the stewards only? Any information on this topic would be nice *cough* Inger *cough*
happy.gif

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
All officers would have been on watch as she sailed, Ben - there's little primary material on where Lowe was, but there has been an assumption that his station paralleled that of Fifth Officer Tulloch on the Olympic. He would not have been giving any tours at that time - he'd be far too busy. Tours would not be a normal part of his duties - with his four on/four off and 2 hour dog watches, junior officers didn't get too much time to themselves, as he pointed out. While they didn't have rounds, they might be called up at any time for duties such as accompanying crew down to retrieve baggage (sometimes passengers decided that luggage marked "not wanted on voyage" was wanted after all). There's a possibility they might have been specially delegated to take a VIP around (and in port might even show friends and family over the ship if they had time), but it wouldn't be within their normal range of duties.

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
I wasn't thinking that he would have given a tour - far from it. I was simply wondering if he would have been on the bridge as the tour that Marshall Drew, along with his aunt and uncle, went on. That way, I could still incorporate him into my story somehow. Not sure how I would do it, but I might find a way. Anyway, that was all I wanted to know. Sorry I wasn't as perspicuous as I could have been in this regard.
happy.gif

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I was simply wondering if he would have been on the bridge as the tour that Marshall Drew, along with his aunt and uncle, went on.<<

It's possible depending on the time all this takes place in your story. Keep in mind that in the real world, it's not at all likely that casual tours would have been permitted on the navigation bridge. White Star was a real stickler for the rules in this regard. So much so that a captain on one ship (The Olympic if I recall correctly) got into some trouble for allowing the Prince of Wales in for a look.

Ben Lemmon

Oct 9, 2009
Thanks to Michael, I've learned that Marshall Drew remembered going on the bridge as it was getting ready to depart. Given this piece of information, I think it would be safe to assume that they were able to see the bridge before the Titanic departed from Southampton. I'm planning on using that as a setting stage for the introduction of the minor characters present on the Titanic.