Hi from Southampton

Jane55

Aug 20, 2020
Hi there. I'm fascinated by anything Titanic at the moment. I get stages of obsession and wanting to read or watch anything to do with the ship and all the stories that come with it. Just recently come back to it after a couple of years, but I didn't know about this site so I'm very happy to come across it. I've lived in Southampton most of my life so I've always known about the history and have been to the cemetery and exhibition etc. I do have a question or two regarding a crew member that was on the ship but won't go into details here until I have a look around and see if there's a particular topic that covers what I'm looking for. Glad to be here and good to meet you all..:) x

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 14, 2005
Welcome to ET. Been a long time since I've been to Southampton. A question for you. Within walking distance of the docks there was a small Titanic museum. Not much bigger than house that I remember. Is that still there or did it get expanded? I looked for it on MAPS but couldnt't find it. Cheers.

Jane55

Aug 20, 2020
Thanks Steven,

No it's been moved now to The SeaCity Museum which is in the old Civic Centre Police Station. The Police Station now has a new building. The museum has a lot more in it than just the Titanic exhibition. Well worth a visit when you're down this way next.

Reactions: 1 users

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Hi there. I'm fascinated by anything Titanic at the moment. I get stages of obsession and wanting to read or watch anything to do with the ship and all the stories that come with it. Just recently come back to it after a couple of years, but I didn't know about this site so I'm very happy to come across it. I've lived in Southampton most of my life so I've always known about the history and have been to the cemetery and exhibition etc. I do have a question or two regarding a crew member that was on the ship but won't go into details here until I have a look around and see if there's a particular topic that covers what I'm looking for. Glad to be here and good to meet you all..:) x
Hi Jane, welcome!

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 14, 2005
Thanks Steven,

No it's been moved now to The SeaCity Museum which is in the old Civic Centre Police Station. The Police Station now has a new building. The museum has a lot more in it than just the Titanic exhibition. Well worth a visit when you're down this way next.
Ok Thanks. I saw the SeaCity website. If ever in the area again I will be sure to check it out.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
Thanks Steven,

remember your ship terms!! Just kidding. I've been fascinated by the Titanic for almost all of my life, then I found this site. Best site ever, for us. By the way, its super cool you're from Southampton :)

VanessaMcHugh

Oct 29, 2015
Welcome to ET. Been a long time since I've been to Southampton. A question for you. Within walking distance of the docks there was a small Titanic museum. Not much bigger than house that I remember. Is that still there or did it get expanded? I looked for it on MAPS but couldnt't find it. Cheers.

The old maritime museum (the Wool House) is now a very nice pub.
I'm also from Southampton, welcome Jane!

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 14, 2005
Yes that looks the place I remember. It was a small museum but interesting. Its been 12 or so years since I was there last. I'm guessing the SeaCity museum would also have a section on the Mayflower? Thanks for the name.
titanic-trail.jpg

Jane55

Aug 20, 2020
The old maritime museum (the Wool House) is now a very nice pub.
I'm also from Southampton, welcome Jane!
Thanks Vanessa. Yes it idoes look like a nice pub but I've not actually been in there yet. Only live about 5 minutes from there too. Maybe when lockdown is over I'll go and visit.

Nov 14, 2005
is there any special plaque at the Southampton Harbor for Titanic?
I don't remember one but I'm sure one of the resident would know. There were other Titanic related places/memorials there. Even a bar made famous by some of the Titanic crew so the story goes.

Jane55

Aug 20, 2020
thanks.the bar where several stokers missed the departure?
Yes, The Grapes in Oxford Street. Also in Oxford street is now a pub/restaurant called The White Star Tavern and they have themed rooms you can stay in. South Western House across the road used to be a hotel that some of the passengers stayed in, but it's now been turned into flats (very expensive) with a gorgeous restaurant called Grand Cafe on the ground floor.

Nov 14, 2005
Yes, The Grapes in Oxford Street. Also in Oxford street is now a pub/restaurant called The White Star Tavern and they have themed rooms you can stay in. South Western House across the road used to be a hotel that some of the passengers stayed in, but it's now been turned into flats (very expensive) with a gorgeous restaurant called Grand Cafe on the ground floor.
Yes thats it...The Grapes. I remember that place and the story is covered in the A&E documentary "Death of a Dream".

Nov 14, 2005
There are a number of memorials and plagues around Southampton. I think this site from The SeaCity Museum shows where most of them are. Titanic Trail
`Wow I didn't know there were that many places. But it makes sense as so many family's from there were affected by the Titanic sinking. I saw the engineer's memorial and St Mary's church. The Engineers Memorial is very well done.

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
a
cool! Thanks Jane. I wonder if they sell them by saying, "this spot is where several crew missed the Titanic leaving"