Historical Mistakes

Nov 3, 2011
Rose claims that everyone who had met or spoken with Molly Brown on the Titanic called her " Molly." And in the First Class dinner seen when Molly met greeted John Jacob Astor, he called her " Molly" as well. Now, from what I have read, and correct me if I am wrong, she was called " Maggie" but never " Molly" during her life. And the name " Molly" was brought about posthumously, right?

May 3, 2005
>>Yes, that is correct. It was invented by Hollywood; Margaret Brown never went by "Molly", only "Maggie<<

Actually,it was invented by Broadway. The musical preceded the movie based on the musical .

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Don't think we need to get too hung up on technicalities like this, everyone in 2011 who only takes a casual interest in the Titanic - which would make up a big percentage of those who went and saw the film - would recognise her as being Molly Brown.

Cheers.
Adam.

Agreed, Adam. But SOS Titanic handled it well by her correcting people...albeit the opposite way.

"How's it going to look when I make my legitimate stage debut...MAGGIE Brown?"

Cameron could have been a little more accurate about it by having her correcting people as "Margaret" or "Maggie" if they called her Molly. Or the narration, "The press would later her call her The Unsinkable Molly Brown. But we all called her Maggie."

May 27, 2007
I also liked SOS Titanic and thought they got the atmosphere of what it was like on Titanic pretty close.

Jeremy is right. I think they should of called Mrs. Brown Mrs Brown. Even Astor would of referred to her that way because that was the proper or a proper way to address a lady back then. Jack had no manners. He should of called her Mrs. Brown or Ma'am.

In the 1840's even husbands and wives with any breeding or gentility called/referred each other even to close friends by their surnames.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
AND cast members who carried over from SOS Titanic into Cameron's film nearly 20 years later.... ;-)

Cheers,
Adam.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I too am a fan of SOST. It wins no prizes for sets, costumes, sfx etc and the Isle of Man ferry (see below) makes a very unconvincing Titanic and an equally unconvincing Carpathia (it appears as both), but the screenplay and characterisation beat all except ANTR.

228409.jpg

May 27, 2007
Bob, Adam,

Pity Cameron didn't just use the SOS Titanic screenplay.

Frankly, regarding Titanic, I always thought it would of made a better story to have Jack as a rich dandy who catches sight of a wild Irish Rose making her way to the States to be an Actress. having them as a side story and not carrying the movie would of also have been nice.

Back to Skyrim....gotta go slay me some dragons.

May 3, 2005
George Lorton wrote:
>>Frankly, regarding Titanic, I always thought it would of made a better story to have Jack as a rich dandy who catches sight of a wild Irish Rose making her way to the States to be an Actress. having them as a side story and not carrying the movie would of also have been nice.<<

Although the movie itself is a bit short on the special effects and historic accuracy, I still like the Gifford-Annette connection in the 1953 "Titanic" better than the Jack-Rose connection in the 1997 version. LOL .

Emilie

Aug 10, 2013
Saint-Étienne, France
For me it is tge whole E-Deck elevator hall set.
Remember that scene when Rose begs Andrews to explain her the proper way to the Master of Arms office?
"Take the elevator to the very bottom ( until there, correct) then go to the left ( in real life Titanic, Rose would have slamed herself into a wooden panel instead!) then down the crewman passage ( the only crewman passage was Scotland Road, and it wasn't on this direction. Plus when Rose arrives in it, there's this whole in existing part of the ship) ... then you'll find a long corridor ( wich might be SR, but the MoA office wasn't in a porthole equiped stateroom).
I don't intend to destroy this movie, but remember how Cameron repeatedly boasted about being a perfectionist, well, as he had access to nomerous documentation, why all this flaws?

What is the worst inaccuracy according to you?