History of H & W plans of the OlympicTitanic

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Richard James Woolcock

Deck plans/drawings/photos of Olympics/Titanic, what is their history. For many years I was under the impression that all detailed drawings of the Titanic/Olympic had been lost when Belfast was bombed during world war 2. How did drawings suddenly become available over the last ten years or were they unwittingly hidden for decades and just found. What is the extent of the H & W archives and are they being properly conserved?

Sam Brannigan

Dec 20, 2000
Richard

I don't know the history behind the plans but I do know that plans for the hull construction and plating for the Olympic class liners are on display at the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum in Belfast, complete with handwritten notes by a certain Thomas Andrews.
They are unbelievably complex to someone who is a total novice in the art of naval architecture like myself, but incredible all the same.

Regards

Sam

M

martin mc master

In answer to the Olympic/Titanic plans. I contacted Harland & Wollf today and asked their technical services dept. Although the staff member was extremely helpful she was unsure of the whereabouts of the original plans. I was however given a contact name at the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum. On speaking to Mr Michael Mc Caughey he confirmed the plans on display at the Museum are in fact the originals. I have however been asked to point out by Mr Mc Caughey a copy of the plans are NOT AVAILABLE FROM THE MUSEUM.
A number of photographs are available to purchase from the Museum. To anyone interested the plans can be purchased from Harland & Wollf,Technical Services Dept. They are quite expensive. Deck Plans consisting of three sheets showing 2x decks per sheet are £15.00 per sheet and a Rigging plan also costs £15.00. +p.p.
I hope this will be of assistance to those interested.

R

Richard James Woolcock

Hi Sam & Martin, Thanks for the answers to that query. I am not really after a copy of the plans or photos (I will probably get a copy from H & W at some point) but would love to know something of their history. It is unfortunate that practically the entire history/achives of the White Star line was lost when Cunard & White Star merged in 1934 and apparently during WW2 because of a air raid on Birmingham. Recently I went to a site dedicated to the Republic, a White Star Liner lost in 1909. According to the authors, there is practically no material in extent, drawings, photos, etc,etc of the Republic. A very sad situation.
Kindest Regards
Richard Woolcock

Status
Not open for further replies.