History's Mysteries Episodes about Strange Events at Sea

Nov 26, 2005
I'm watching a show that's featuring a piece about a ship in WWII called USS Eldridge (I think that's the name, my hearing isn't so great) that was involved in something called The Philidelphia Experiment.

Basically, it's saying the government was experimenting with some Einstein-inspired idea that would teleport ships from one location to the other or make them completely transparent where they sat, with rather horrific results.

I was wondering if there was a thread on this subject where I could get the thoughts of ETers who have heard of/researched this subject. It sounds a little far fetched, but I've heard of stranger things. Just curious. Thanks all!

Not to burst your balloon (because it's a seriously cool story), but there is a lot of evidence against the Philadelphia Experiment occurring.

Crew members of the Eldridge have said that the ship wasn't where the Experiment story has it being. But who knows?

The story is a great one. And I've seen that History's Mysteries episode. It's pretty good.

I'm leaning toward "it didn't happen" in my belief. That being said, I think that a lot of stories like this come from somewhere. Maybe someone discussed the possibility of that technology (or technique) working. Or that the government *was* experimenting with this kind of thing but not to the level of the Eldridge.

Nov 26, 2005
Thanks, Jeremy. I was very skeptical, at best, that such a thing had ever taken place. But, as a general rule, if I ever see anything on TV about something Naval that really intrigues me, as this did, I make sure to pass it along and get opinions on it here.

Thanks again for your response!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
For an exposition of The Philidelphia Experiment, go to http://www.skepdic.com/philadel.html

There was no cloaking device, no invisibility screen, no teleportation or anything like that. The originator of the story, to put it bluntly, made it all up.

See also http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-e/de173.htm and http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq21-1.htm

The USS Eldridge would ultimately end up being sold to the Greek Navy to serve as the HNS Leon. See http://www.navsource.org/archives/06/173.htm

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>There was no cloaking device, no invisibility screen, no teleportation or anything like that. The originator of the story, to put it bluntly, made it all up.

That's what they WANT you to believe, Michael.

Next time I am having back-to-back screenings of Sunn Classic films of the 1970s, I shall reserve you a seat. Between "In Search of Historic Jesus" "Hanger 18" "The Lincoln Conspiracy" "In Search of Noah's Ark" and... my favorite.. "Beyond and Back" aka "In Search of Death," (I still recall that the final five minutes was a cinematic walk-thru of what it is like to die, with ponderous, booming voice, narration. Begining with the narrator asking "Would you like to know what it is like to die" after which more than a ripple of "No!" went thru the audience....) your brain will begin to soften. Skepticism will magically melt away and, I promise, that by the time I produce retro snacks (including fondue) you'll be a firm believer in Roswell; Alien autopsies; ESP and, of course, the Philadelphia Experiment and Nostradamus. The evening will "break" with a consciousness raising session and some healing hugs. The list:

Hangar 18 (1980) ... Distributor (1980) (USA) (theatrical)
Beyond Death's Door (1979) ... Distributor (1979) (USA) (theatrical)
In Search of Historic Jesus (1979) ... Distributor (1979) (USA) (theatrical)
The Bermuda Triangle (1979) ... Distributor
Encounter with Disaster (1979) ... Distributor (1979) (USA) (theatrical)
Beyond and Back (1978) ... Distributor (1978) (USA) (theatrical)
The Lincoln Conspiracy (1977) ... Distributor (1977) (USA) (theatrical)
Guardian of the Wilderness (1976) ... Distributor (1976) (USA) (theatrical)
The Amazing World of Psychic Phenomena (1976) ... Distributor (1976) (USA) (theatrical)
In Search of Noah's Ark (1976) ... Distributor (1976) (USA) (theatrical)
The Mysterious Monsters (1976) ... Distributor (1976) (USA) (theatrical)
The Outer Space Connection (1975) ... Distributor (1975) (USA) (theatrical)

Gee, the meds they gave me for this damned flu have borne some odd side effects....

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Gee, the meds they gave me for this damned flu have borne some odd side effects....<<

You know what "They" said about tuning out the voices in your head???

"They" lied!
evil.gif