Hitchcock's Lifeboat on DVD

Feb 24, 2004
May 12, 2005
I really love this movie. The scene of the steward praying with everyone in silhouette is one of my favorite cinematic touches. There are a lot of other great scenes, and the story and the acting still pack a punch after all this time. Look for Hitchcock himself, making his usual walk-on of sorts, a very hard thing to do in a movie about a boat adrift at sea!

Of course, the big draw for me is the star, Broadway’s raspy-voiced Tallulah Bankhead, making a rare film appearance as an oblivious society columnist named Constance Porter, who is basically just Tallulah Bankhead with her usual props —— fur coat, flask, cigarette, and chit-chat punctuated by her signature "dahhhling" this and "dahhhling" that.

I especially like the quip she makes to the crew member who criticizes her for being "all dressed up like you were going some place" ——— "I WAS going some place, dahhhling, I was going into a lifeboat."

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi All,
Hi Randy - I also like that scene. Good composition as well. I include my nearly completed collection of signatures and signed photographs of the cast of this film - as well an original 1944 still. I collect many things, vintage signatures among them - this is the first cast collection I ever started. I have finished a few others including A Star is Born 1954, but have been unable to find the nurse in Lifeboat because she was in Gone With The Wind and is highly collected in vintage form for Gone With the Wind collections. I do have a Vivien Leigh, but from Streetcar. The hardest to find below is boxer Canada Lee who died so very young - he is the steward Randy mentioned in his post.

Hope you guys enjoy them
happy.gif

Best,
Eric

99033.jpg

Original vintage glossy b/w studio embossed and Danish censur-stamped (1949) heavyweight full cast still from "Lifeboat", struck either for the 1944 US release or the 1949 Danish release (Sept, 2nd, 1949)

99034.jpg

Tallulah Bankhead - vintage inscribed signed photograph, blue fountain pen, c. 1945

99035.jpg

William Bendix - vintage signed original candid glossy b/w photograph, red fountain pen, 1952, from the Mark Jorgenson Collection of Theatre Candids

99036.jpg

Hume Cronyn - vintage cut signature on Players Directory, blue fountain pen, c. 1947, from the Francis Zane collection

99037.jpg

John Hodiak - vintage signed original candid glossy b/w photograph, black fountain pen, c. 1952, from the Francis Zane collection

99038.jpg

Henry Hull - vintage inscribed signed card, blue fountain pen, 12/17/33

99039.jpg

Walter Slezak - vintage signed original candid glossy b/w photograph, blue ball-point pen, c. 1952, from the Francis Zane collection

(C) EL Image/Memorabilia Collection

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi All,
Rarest of all in this cast and I forgot him! Canada Lee, the Steward.

Here he is:

99070.jpg

Canada Lee - vintage signed handbill from “Native Son”, with ticket stub, black fountain pen, 4/18/42

Best,
Eric

May 12, 2005
Eric, WOW! Fantastic collection there. Thanks for sharing the images. I thought Canada Lee was perfect in "Lifeboat" —— very subtle but emotional. It shows what a great actor can do with a small role. You may have heard this before, but for others who haven’t, there’s a funny story about Tallulah and her antics while on the set of this movie. Apparently she didn’t wear underwear and so when climbing into the boat, she exposed herself rather too much, which offended some member of the film crew. This person complained to Hitchcock who replied that he wasn’t sure which department could help in the matter ——"Perhaps hairdressing?"

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Hi Randy,
Thanks!
happy.gif
It was a heck of a collection to do all in vintage. Still need the nurse and the lady who drowns herself - tough to find. What did you think of Abandon Ship with Tyrone Power? I thought it was a rather obvious attempt to trump Lifeboat - more people, more injuries, smaller lifeboat (not even a lifeboat actually), less food and water, sharks, a bigger storm etc. No Nazi, but due to the circumstances Power could be seen as an adversary - at least to some in the boat anyway. However, I did enjoy it for the story and the dilemma raised - but it is in no way the art that Lifeboat is. I do wish the ending of Lifeboat - not the bracelet bit r the supply ship bit but the very end - the odd throw away line about what to do with people like that and what would Gus say etc. Just seemed a bit weak compared to the rest.
I expect a lot from the DVD - I am hoping for a crisp print with rich darks and sharp highlights. But I am so used to watching the old print.....

Best,
Eric

PS - wasn't until AFTER I bought the Henry Hull signature that I discovered The Werewolf of London! I love old horror - have you seen the unusual Lugosi film The Human Monster?