HMAS Sydney

Michael Byrne

Oct 11, 2006
Yep - more and more interesting.
I have to take back my doubts about the identity of the body, above - if it's German shell fragment that's gotta be reasonably conclusive proof this sailor was from the Sydney.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Latest news is that we now have relatives and photos of all three possibles. The next step will be DNA tests.

Michael Byrne

Oct 11, 2006
Incredible.
It really will be a result if this unfortunate sailor can be identified and laid to a dignified rest after 65 years.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
From the TV, I've just heard that the DNA tests drew a blank. The sailor was not one of the three the search had been narrowed down to.

It's now thought that a dozen or so other men wore the white overalls found on the body and an appeal has been made for their relatives to come forward for more testing.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Hi Trevor - I woke to see these headlines and snatched the SMH from the family member holding it. As always, I'm holding off judgement (never forgetting the Waratah false alarm and similar stories) - the news coverage tonight suggests hesitation from the "official" search team funded by the Commonwealth, but the WA Maritime Museum seems cautiously optimistic. The position seems curious to me - an attempt to beach it?

It's in comparatively shallow waters (unlike the deep water that had been half expected) - ROV surveys and even technical dive teams should be able to reach a conclusion soon.

Waiting with baited breath...

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I'll stick my neck out and say it's not HMAS Sydney.

By all the evidence, the battle took place well south or SW of Cape Inscription. Sydney passed Cape Inscription, heading south at speed, at about 10-00am on the day of the battle. The battle took place about six hours later.

Sydney was last seen to the SE of the scene of the battle. The wreck found is a long way to the NE.

If the wreck is Sydney, the entire story of the battle, from the German witnesses is wildly wrong. I think this is unlikely. From the video I've just seen, the wreck could be the Yackyhickydoola.

Let's see what the RAN finds.

And just for Inger---

Inger, after eating cheese,
Directs down holes the scented breeze,
Enticing thus, with baited breath,
Small mice to an untimely death.

T

Trevor William Sturdy

Hi Inger/Dave - yeah pretty sceptical myself over this one - we will have to wait and see....

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>If the wreck is Sydney, the entire story of the battle, from the German witnesses is wildly wrong.<<

Well, it wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened, but I'd like to see some photos for myself. Preferably one with the name of the ship on the hull, before I take anything on board. Seems to me these guys are jumping the gun here with their I.D.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Lol! Many is the rodent I've lured to an untimely death with my baited breath, Dave...

Latest word suggests the WA Maritime Museum is aware of a trawler sunk off Dirk Hartog Island some years ago. There have also been claims it's just not large enough.

The WA Martime Museum is a brilliant team, and I'm glad to see that they'll be working wih the RAN on identifying the wreck.

The Commonwealth Government was on the verge of announcing a new grant to locate the wreck, with David Mearns involved - I've seen figures of either 1.9 million or in excess of 2 million. That's on hold until the situation regarding these new claims are cleared up.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/our-most-enduring-and-tragic-riddle/2007/08/10/1186530627309.html

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Navy-to-check-if-wreck-is-HMAS-Sydney/2007/08/12/1186857322708.html

http://abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/08/12/2002693.htm?section=justin

There may be some more word at work tomorrow on what the story is - we're following developments closely, as this is of tremendous significance for our national maritime heritage.