HMS Berwick

david wilson

Feb 17, 2004
Probably everyone on ET knows about the finding of HMAS sydney.The media in australia describe her as a"leander class light cruiser".In this weeks community news a retired RN veteran,73yrs old has just built a scale model of HMS manchester,a frigate & sister ship of HMAS sydney.I served part of my time helping to build HMS berwick @ H&W & to the best of my knowledge,she was a leander class frigate.How is it that two different types of ship can be the same class.By the way,there's a destroyer in between them,somewhere.Can any of you old salts please explain.
regards.
dw.
seven degrees west.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
The Royal Navy quite commonly re-uses the names of older (and departed) vessels and Classes of ships for use on later ones, and not necessarily of the same type. The Leander Class cruisers were long gone when the names of the Class and of some of the individual ships were resurrected for use by the frigates built 30 years later.

Leander Class frigates built at H&W were the Leander itself (laid down 1959) and the Charybdis (1967). Also laid down at H&W in 1959 was the Berwick, which was a Rothesay Class frigate.

The name 'Manchester' was used again for a Type 42 destroyer commissioned in 1982.

david wilson

Feb 17, 2004
Thanks Dave & Bob,so I didn't work on a leander after all.It was a rothesay instead.I've been living a lie for the last 48yrs,where's the sack cloth & ashs,how can I live with myself?
Thanks again boys,I knew one of you had the answer.
regards.
dw.
seven degrees west.