HMS Bounty

K

Ken hogan

Does anyone know if anyone had ever dove to the wreck of the Hms Bounty off of Pitkarn Island and if so, what's down there? Im really interested in this any any response would be greatly Appricated.

May 8, 2001
Hi Ken. The answer seems to be yes. After quickly asking my husband, he mentioned something about finding and possibly raising the anchor in the late 1950's, so I did a search and came up with this address.

http://www.he.net/~archaeol/9905/etc/bounty.html

There is another web site dedicated to descendants of the Bounty located at:

http://www.geocities.com/bountygenealogy

Hope this is of interest to you, and by the way, welcome aboard!
Colleen

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The Bounty...what's left of her...has been explored, and quite a few decades ago. I read about it in a National Geographic book on ships and the sea when I was a child. I wish I knew where it was, so I could give you something more specific.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Dec 8, 2000
Just back from Auckland, NZ, where I spent a lovely afternoon at the National Maritime Museum. Amongst its many excellent exhibits was this treasure: HMS Bounty's anchor. It was recovered from a coral reef off Tahiti, and it's remarkable how much of it is left. If the photos work out, I may be able to post a small picture. (Unfortunately I didn't have my tripod with me.)

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Good stuff, Fi - I'd be interested in seeing the shots. I was just reading some of Lt. J. Shillibeer's A Narrative of the 'Briton's' Voyage to Pitcairn's Island, etc., etc., the other day, and it brought the Bounty story back to mind. I recieved your PC by the way - what a subject near and dear to my heart!

Speaking of maritime museum photos...I have the sneaky suspicion that I didn't send you the James Caird shots, did I? And I need to tell you the 'smelly sledge dog' story I've just heard from colleagues.