HMS Victory found

• Thread starter Trevor Rommelley
  • Start date

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
To clear up any confusion, the present HMS Victory is still in the graving dock where the Royal Navy has been keeping her all along. The ship in the article is an earlier line-of-battle ship which was lost in 1744 in the English Channel during the course of an especially violent storm.

Scott Newman

Jun 16, 2004
This is a fascinating find. I don't know much about the Victory, but this article seems to go in to some detail on the believed cause of the sinking at the time and discovery of wreck.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090201/ap_on_bi_ge/shipwreck_discovery

The article states that there is believed to be as much as 4 tons of gold coin that went down with the ship, although whether or not that can be recovered will be up to the British government, as this was a British warship. Cool stuff!

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
>>Federal court records filed by Odyssey in Tampa seeking the exclusive salvage rights said the site is 25 to 40 miles from the English coast, outside of its territorial waters<<

I thought territorial limits had now been extended to 200 miles? Furthermore, the vessel is still the property of the British government, and the wreck site must be a war grave?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I thought territorial limits had now been extended to 200 miles?<<

Economic exclusion zones extend that far, but not necesserily territorial waters.

>>Furthermore, the vessel is still the property of the British government, and the wreck site must be a war grave?<<

Perhaps not a war grave, but under international law, warships remain the property of the government which owns them at the time of their loss.

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
This report is highly dubious. Those who claim to have found the wreck of HMS Victory say that "We found this more than 50 miles from where anybody would have thought it went down", yet reports on the BBC state that the vessel is "off the Channel Islands", which is surely where it was thought to have been in the first place? If, however, she is near the Channel Islands, that might explain some of the complications regarding territorial waters, insofar as the waters around the islands are also claimed by France.

Jan 29, 2001
Feb. 5, '09 @ 10:00 p.m. the "Discovery Channel" will feature an episode on their brand new "Treasure Hunters", regarding the discovery of HMS Victory.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From MSNBC:

Shipwreck diary: Last days of the HMS Victory
quote:

It was the stormiest of stormy nights when Admiral John Balchin ordered to fire the guns as a signal of distress. His 110-gun ship, the world's largest and finest vessel, was at the mercy of the winds and waves of the English Channel.
More at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28978566/

Comment: I don't know if I'd read too much into the position of the wreck being off, even by 50 miles. Even accounting for the fact that the period navigation skills were not what they are today, it's not as if recorded or accepted positions have turned out to be wrong.

Still, it would be nice to see something in the way of confirmation which either supports the claim or refutes it.

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
There is considerable concern about the activities of commercial "treasure hunters". in fact Mike Williams, a law lecturer at Wolverhampton University and a member of the Nautical Archaeology Society, is reported to have said: "If we allow Odyssey to go ahead with this operation, it will cause an uproar."

Jan 29, 2001
The Discovery Channel special(s) were great...part 1 @ 9:00 p.m. followed by part 2 @ 10:00 when the shipwreck was positively identified as H.M.S. VICTORY. The explorers were startled when they found, what was thought to be a cannonball, turned out to be a human skull...still bearing teeth. Owing to the much shallower depth compared to TITANIC, I feel that the sediment probably concealed the VICTORY'S human reamins shortly after the sinking, wheras the sediment rate at TITANIC'S deathbed is, according to Dr. Ballard...1 centimeter per 1000 yrs.

I can't wait till part 3 next Thursday at 10:00 p.m. Westcoast time!

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I caught most of this last night while doing my nightly search of the news. Odyssey, to their credit, appeared to be sensitive to the issues raised by the fact that they were dealing with a warship and the discovery of human remains.

A cynic might say that they were simply playing to the cameras but I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt on this.

Jan 29, 2001
Hello Mr. Standart...yes aside from being sensitive, the Odyssey team was genuinely spooked by the discovery of the skull. As for your benefit of the doubt...I should agree, for the team's archaeoligist was unnerved.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>the Odyssey team was genuinely spooked by the discovery of the skull. <<

Can't say as I blame him. It's one thing to poke around a wreck and know in an academic sense that people died there. It's quite another to see such graphic evidence of the fact all but rubbed into your nose.