How about an Aquitania 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2002
Aquitania had such a lengthy and fortunate career, it seems only fitting her name be carried on....

Think an Aquitania 2 will ever be built?

regards

tarn Stephanos

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
It is possible- it has a nice ring to it, the lineage is flawless and Cunard has been mindful of their own heritage this last decade. Perhaps with a near twin, Mauretania.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Cunard should start naming some of the new ships they are going to build to end with the traditional -ia. I agree with you all, Aquitania 2 or Mauretania 2 would be fine. Anyway, there are lots of old ships that were Cunard's e.g. Eturia, Berengaria, Laconia, Lancastria, Saxonia ,Campania, Carinthia, Carmania, Carpathia, Franconia, Scythia, Transylvania, Slyvania etc. etc.!

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
There have already been 2 Carmania's, Franconia's, Mauretainia's, Scythia's and Caronia's (the Caronia 2 was known as the Green Goddess).

If they were to launch an Aquitania 2, then the sister ship should be the Berengaria 2, or some other "ia" name. You can't use the Lusitania, or the Lancastria, as both ships went down with large losses of life, and it would have to be a ship that was fairly well known.

But since the company is "Cunard White Star", why not re-use some of the White Star names, such as Olympic, Adriatic, Brittanic etc.

I'd travel on an Aquitainia 2. My mother came to Canada in 1944 on board the original Aquitainia. It'd be nice to continue the trend.

Lucy Burkhill

Mar 31, 2006
Hmm. I can see what you're getting at, Grant, but I'm not sure about this myself. Call me sentimental or whatever, but a second Aquitania is unlikely to have the beauty of the original. It's a dead cert that such a vessel would not be built at a British yard either!!
sad.gif

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
Lucy

I see what you mean. As for not being British built, I remember than when Cunard was thinking about the QM2, they did approach John Brown & Sons, but they said that they can't build large ships. Whether they meant the Panamax size, such as the QM2 and the new Freedom of the Seas, or any large ship I'm not sure of. If they built a new Aquitainia as a medium size, such as 75 - 90k tons, maybe they could do it. Also, I don't know the capabilities of Harland and Wolff any more either. Since they're in Northern Ireland, it would still qualify as British Built.

Lucy Burkhill

Mar 31, 2006
Grant, is John Brown's still in business, then? I saw a programme on BBC TV a couple of months back and it showed the yard (where the likes of the Lusitania, Aquitania and Queen Mary were built), as just a pile of rubble!!

The Mauretania's birthplace, Swan Hunter, is still in business, as far as I know (I visited their website recently), so, providing that a new ship is not too big, I suppose it could be built there.

K

Kyle Johnstone

I was at the former John Brown yard in Clydebank a couple of weeks ago.

Coincidentally, I was there within two days of one hundred years since the Lusitania's launch there.

All that remains of the yard is one of the famous Titan cranes (once there were five, one can still see foundations where other cranes where) and the fitting-out basin. At this time there is visible some foundations of of a few buildings from the ship yard.

I'll have some photos on-line shortly.
The yard is otherwise completely stripped and flattened.

One can barely see the tip of the slip where the great ships were launched. Adjacent to the slip is a building going up as part of Clydebank College.

Plans are to preserve the one remaining Titan crane and the fitting out basin, and to not build on the former slipway but to commemorate it as a historic site.

The Titan crane is protected, and there are plans to install an elevator up to a viewing platform at the top of the crane.

As I was tresspassing, I didn't wander around too long taking photos!

A couple of links:
http://www.theclydebankstory.com/
http://www.clydebankrebuilt.co.uk/
http://www.glasgowarchitecture.co.uk/clydebank_college.htm

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
I honestly thought that John Brown was still in business. Do you know when it closed up shop?

I knew Harland and Wolff was still in existance, but didn't know if it still built ships or not. I do remember reading that Cunard had approached a company to build the QM2 before they went to Kverner (?), and I thought it was JB. Again, I'm going on memory here. Guess the '70's were better than I thought
happy.gif

John Zoppina

Feb 5, 2005
I seem to remember H&W as being interested, but internal financial limitations prevented them from building QM2. At least, that's what I thought I read in John Maxtone-Graham's book...

-John

Brent Holt

Jun 23, 2002
Some are forgetting that there was a Mauretania 2. She had a distinguished career from 1939-1965.
I would like to see Cunard name future cruise ships Mauretania and Aquitania. I do not feel Queen Victoria is a good name for the next Cunarder.

May 12, 2002
IIRC, H&W actually bid for QM2 but lost it to Chantiers D'Atlantique. The UK Government, after saying for ages that they couldn't offer any financial assistance with the bid, eventually came up with some help, but it was too little, too late (typical ... and a bit hypocritical given the amount of money they spent keeping Rover afloat!). Ah well, at least QM2 was built in a yard with some historical significance.

Cheers

Paul

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
I don't know if anyone has an answer to this one, but here goes. Does anyone know what happened to the fittings from the first class dining room when they were auctioned off? The only reason I'm asking is that in going over some photo's of the Aquitania, the first class dining room had what appeared to be a very ornate painted ceiling. It would be nice if it had survived.

But, that also begs another question. In the re-fitting for war, would the ceilings have been removed down the the bare metal, or would the ceilings and walls been left, and just the furniture removed. My mom came to Canada on the Aquitania in 1944, but I never asked her that question, and can't now.

Jan 7, 2002
As the Aquitania was one of the greatest ships in Cunard's past, don't you think its high time her name be revived? I hope the next large cruise ship/liner Cunard adds to their ranks will be called 'Aquitania 2".
Anyone else favor the revival of the Aquitania name?

regards

tarn Stephanos

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted as a separate thread, has been moved to this pre-existing thread addressing the same subject. MAB]

Status
Not open for further replies.