How and when they got away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Michael, I am pretty sure that most of the witnesses other then Hitchens died and were not able to testify. Moody and Murdoch. Boxhall might have seen or heard something. Might have??

Erik

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hmmmmm...they might have heard something, but it was Murdoch who had the watch. Unfortunately, his knowladge went to the bottom with him. I'll have to start into those transcripts in ernest.

So much material, so little time...

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Gentlemen, to the best of my knowledge, that final sequence - from the time the iceberg was spotted until the ship crashed into it was only witnessed and testified to by one man - Hichens. We only have his account for what occurred during this crucial time. Which makes me wonder if it really DID happen as he testified, given his record for honesty.

JMHO here.

Best regards,
Cook

Sep 12, 2000
Hichens has a record for honesty? Where was that...oh...in the nonleather scrap log...now I see. Just teasing you Cook. Hey are you going to share that cheescake with us when it is made? We're all right up the street at the Taco Bell waiting for the invitation.
Maureen.

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Share the cheesecake? Nobody said nothin' about sharing it??!! It's MINE, I tell you! ALL MINE!!! Moooooaahhahahahaha!!!

Phil, are you BACK YET??!!

Warmest regards,
Cook

Sep 12, 2000
Sir Cook,
Wait a second, you mean that awesome wife of yours can make you a cheesecake and we are all up here at Taco Bell drooling and you never ever even had any thought of sharing it with us in the first place? Wow, and you think that a guy is your friend....

No wait,...are you going to share it with Phil?

Now, does Phil read all the stuff that happened when he gets back and do we have to pay some sort of bad behavior fee if we really gave Pat a hard time....not that anyone here did that mind you....No,...everyone was on their best behavior.
How many cheesecake recipes for Phil will it take to keep my account?
Maureen.

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Gee, since it's Phil, you may have to find a recipe for scones or crumpets or one of those other oddities the English eat. Let's see, chips means French Fries, bangers means sausages. Geez, I wonder what they call 'buns'?

I relinquish the reins of power!

The once and future King,
Lord Cook

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Michael,

I just reread Hichens testimony from the inquiry site that you gave me and he really doesn't say engine speed or any of that. Just who said what and when. Other then the fact that he heard the three gongs on the bell Murdochs orders and Moody's echoing of them. Perhaps some is missing and it is assumed that it happened. Plus I might try Boxhall's tesitimony he was the next officer on the bridge. Maybe he saw or heard something.

Erik

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hello Erik, I've got a long way to go befor I get really deep into the transcripts. If you happen to catch something befor I do, I hope you'll post the page or question number.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Michael,

Day 5 question 11. Senator Smith asks what happend and Hitchens explains. That was on the website. I haven't gone into my own copy as it is coffee stained and I am looking for a new one.

Erik

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Erik, thanks for the reference. I'm a bit away from getting there, but I will.

Coffee stains, hmmmmmm? I can see that Navy guys aren't the only ones who guzzle the stuff down. I hope whatever you have is decent. I'm a bit of a Starbucks fan myself and I've been in Coffee Heaven since it became available in the grocery stores.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Oh, the coffee around here is the best that I have ever had while afloat I can tell you that.

Erik

Aug 28, 2005
Okay, I have put this all together through bits and pieces over the past six years and believe it is completely accurate.

The Lifeboats were prepared for launching around 20-30 minutes after the collision, while the crew prepared the passengers for the evacuation. By 12:30, First Class passengers began wandering onto the forward end of the boat deck, where First Officer Murdoch prepared to load the Starboard Side Lifeboats and Second Officer Lightoller prepared to load the Port Side Lifeboats. Captain Smith gave the order "Women and Children First"

At the forward end of the boat deck, each of the two groups of davits were set up to launch three standard boats, two emergency cutters, and two Engelhart collapsibles.

Murdoch had a small head start as he began loading Lifeboat 7. He loaded very quickly and when it was launched at 12:45, it contained twenty-three First Class passengers; consisting of fifteen men and eleven women, along with three male crew members, coming to a total of 26 people.

Just as Lifeboat 7 was being lowered, Lightoller began loading Lifeboat 6. Unlike Murdoch, he took Captain Smith's order as "Women and Children Only" So he refused any male passengers entry. Because of this, none of the women would enter the boat, also because they refused to believe the "unsinkable" ship was sinking. After he finally managed to usher twenty-one women and one man to help, along with two male crew members, Lifeboat 6 was launched at 12:55 with 25 people, later to be discovered as 26. Somehow, a Lebanese Third Class passenger with a broken arm named Fahim Leeni managed to reach the boat deck before the gates were locked and snuck into Lifeboat 6, hiding under a seat.

At almost the same time, Murdoch loaded and Lowered Lifeboat 5. He managed to herd about 30 First Class passengers into the boat, including the first child to leave the ship, five-year-old Washington Dodge jr. Actually, Annie Stengel was injured when a man jumped into the lifeboat and landed on top of her. In all, thirty passengers and eight crew members escaped in Lifeboat 5.

At 1:00 AM, Murdoch sent the fourth boat away, Lifeboat 3. Much of his group of First Class passengers were gone, and he managed to usher 26 First Class passengers into the boat, consisting of twelve men, thirteen women, and one child. Murdoch placed the boat under the command of Able Seaman James Anderson and after placing ten stokers from the boiler rooms in the lifeboat, he lowered it.

Ten Minutes later, Murdoch arrived at the forward end of the boat deck, at the emergency cutter, or Lifeboat 1. At this time, most of the passengers were heading aft, towards where the eight other standard boats were located. There were only seven First Class passengers nearby, so he allowed the five men and two women to enter the boat. When it was lowered, it contained only 12 people.

Meanwhile, while Murdoch had loaded and lowered four boats, Lightoller was still trying to load his second, Lifeboat 8. Many of the women refused to leave their husbands and a few had to be dragged into the boat. Time was running out and Lightoller was finally able to lower it at 1:10 with twenty-three First Class women and three crew members.

At 1:15 AM, Murdoch and Lightoller moved aft to the other lifeboats. When Lightoller arrived at Lifeboat 10, he found that some of the Second Class passengers had found their way to the boat deck. Eight First Class women were loaded into Lifeboat 10, followed by 12 women and four children from Second Class. Just before lowering, a steward came up to Lightoller with a small group of Third Class passengers. Three women and two children were helped into the boat, and just as it was being lowered, two asian men jumped into the boat.

Moving aft, Lightoller found Lifeboat 12 to be tangled in its ropes, so while the deck hands untangled it, he began loading Lifeboat 14. Now, panic began to break out as the seriousness of the situation became clear. Four women from First Class were helped into the boat before a wave of Third Class men rushed the boat. Lightoller fired his gun to get them away and some of the crew formed a circle around the boat. Lightoller pulled thirteen women and nine children from Second Class through the circle and they were helped into the boat one by one. Again, a small group of Third Class passengers managed to reach him and he helped four women and one child into the boat, along with a man with a shawl over his head, disguised as a woman. He was caught later on. Along with ten crew members, Lifeboat 14 was launched at 1:25 AM with around 45 people. Several gunshots were fired to keep people from jumping from the decks into the boat.

While Lifeboat 14 was being loaded, a couple of sailors had begun loading Lifeboat 16. One steward had found three women from Second Class and led them into the boat. They were surprised when two stewards showed up with around two dozen young girls from Third Class, mostly Irish. One by One, twenty-one girls were helped into the boat by the sailors. As soon as they were all in, One assistant saloon steward and six stewardesses were helped in, along with an infant found abandoned on the deck. Four male crew members entered the boat and it was lowered just two minutes after Lifeboat 14 with 38 people.

To Be Continued

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hello Christian,

Once again, those times for the lifeboats are wrong. If you haven't already, I highly recommend that you read the article by Bill Wormstedt, Tad Fitch and George Behe. These gentleman have done the research on this issue and have even revised it based on discussions on here and new information, whereas you haven't. You posted the same information that you posted last September in another thread.

Here is the link to their article:

Titanic: The Lifeboat Launching Sequence Re-Examined

Not only was their article published online, but it also appeared in the Titanic Commutator which is put out by the Titanic Historical Society (THS). What I'd like to know is, where are you getting your information?

Status
Not open for further replies.