How Cal Would've/Should've Died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's another fun one: If Cal were to have died in the tragedy, how do you think he would've/should've died? What would've been the appropriate time, place, and manner for him to die and why? What would've been a great last line?...

I was thinking about this, just for the sake of amusement, and thought I'd ask. After all, this is the right place for it.

I suggest crushed by the falling Renault when it was being hoisted aboard.

As he expires, Rose says, "I told you to buy American!"

As the Renault is lifted off Cal, Rose gets knocked off the dock and drowns. Jack drowns trying to save her.

Have I ever mentioned that I think it's a lousy movie?

Reactions: 1 user
J

Jack Coburn

Not intending to be serious, instead of that guy pushing tommy straight into Murdoch's gun he should have pushed Cal instead. Do you think Murdoch would still feel as guilty?

That's an interesting question. Hard to tell, but judging by the look Murdoch gave Cal when Cal shoved the money into his pocket, I don't think he thought too highly of him. That's a good one actually, Cal being shot! Serves him right for trying to shoot Jack & Rose.

Or instead of Fabrizio being crushed by the falling funnel, it should have fallen on Cal.

Another one, how about Cal being on the deck of the ship where it breaks into two and he falls down between the two halves.
evil.gif

J

Jack Coburn

I suppose it dosen't really matter, as he does eventually get his comeuppance, "when the crash of '29 hits". I actually think it's rather ironic that he dies the same way as Murdoch.

It was an insipid bit of storytelling NOT to have Murdoch shoot Cal. Would have made more sense had after their "Your money can't save you" argument, Cal made a dive for the lifeboat and pow! Murdoch shot him. Would also have fit the shootings/suicide theory well too. Alas, it was botched.
An even better death would have been if the alleged "hero" of the story-Jack-had killed him and his hired thug. As anyone who has seen "Cobra" can attest, the purpose of the handsome hero is not only to get the girl, but kill all the bad guys.
It was lame not to have Jack kill Cal and Spicer, and is one of the many reaons I dislike "Titanic" not only as a historical drama, but as a fictional story, too, since I pride myself not only on being historically accurate, but telling a good story in whatever I write.

Richard

Why couldn't we have him cartwheeling through the air and clanging off the propellors (roped to Les Dennis and John Sessions)? Or have him hanging off the stern rail (instead of Fabrizio's love interest) with Rose doing a merry Irish jig on his fingers?

Jason D. Tiller

quote:

"I actually think it's rather ironic that he dies the same way as Murdoch."

There's no evidence to suggest that Murdoch did shoot himself, so I'd be very careful in making that assumption, unless you have some hard evidence that the rest of us aren't aware of.

Check out the threads in Crew Research for more on this.​

Just a thought, maybe Jack meant it was ironic that Cal dies by suicide the same way as how Murdoch was portrayed committing suicide in the film.;)

J

Jack Coburn

yes, desiree, thank you for pointing that out, i did mean how he was portrayed in the film, not in the actual sinking.

"It was lame not to have Jack kill Cal and Spicer, and is one of the many reaons I dislike "Titanic" not only as a historical drama, but as a fictional story, too, since I pride myself not only on being historically accurate, but telling a good story in whatever I write."

If you wanna see Jack and Rose take out the bad guys I suggest you watch "Broken Arrow";)

Reluctant though I am to discuss Rose and Cal ... I have to say, I do think his escape was entirely logical. The rich usually win, even if he did end up "putting a pistol in his mouth in the crash of '29". 17 more years, eh? Not too bad, all things considered. It was only a film ....

"If you wanna see Jack and Rose take out the bad guys I suggest you watch "Broken Arrow";)"

Nah, I'd rather watch 'em deliver the (yawn) package to the Soviets, Admiral Sandecker. :)
(Sure hope that hurricane don't sink us again!
:))

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.