How Cal Would've/Should've Died

• Thread starter Mark Robert Hopkins
  • Start date
R

Roy Kristiansen

Hi, Sharon!

Generally yes, but there were men who turned being a Titanic survivor to their financial advantage, whether they were actually on the ship or not. The word for them, I believe, is "imposter."

THE SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
May 4, 1912, p.2:

Titanic Survivor in Walla Walla.

Special to Post-Intelligencer.
WALLA WALLA, May 3.--George Rallas, Greek, a survivor of the Titanic wreck, arrived late last night to make his home here. After the big ship went down he spent three hours on a raft. A brother was drowned. Rallas speaks no English. He has relatives here.

Good luck finding him, or his brother, listed anywhere.

Roy

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

If we want to see Cal get some sort of punishment that would be pure Hollywood, it should have been in some spectacular fight where the "Good Guy" royally trounces his b***, then he should get mangled up in some machinary which he would somehow survive, but it would start a long string of malfunctions which would lead to the whole ship disintigrating in a string of spectacular explosions which the "Good Guy" somehow survives without a scratch.

Reality it ain't, but it is Hollywood.

P

Peter Spielvogel

>> it should have been in some spectacular fight where the "Good Guy" royally trounces his b***, then he should get mangled up in some machinary which he would somehow survive, but it would start a long string of malfunctions which would lead to the whole ship disintigrating <<

I got it. Matrix-style fight atop the 3rd funnel. Cal delivers roundhouse kick, knocking Jack onto his back. As Cal pins Jack he sneers, "I won Jack, cause I'm the guy with the plan. I'm smarter than you, Jack. I'm smarter than you." A sudden burst of adrenaline gives Jack the strength to chuck Cal overboard where he gets sucked into the port screw. The propeller flings him up into the air where he crashes headfirst through the counter stern, disabling the rudder control machinery and causing Titanic to turn uncontrollably to port. The Titanic then proceeds to run over the German sub that had been tracking her on a secret mission to sink her and start WWI 2 years early in a spectacular scene reminiscent of "The Enemy Below." The Germans set their scuttling bombs, and Jack makes a spectacular dive from the Titanic's funnel into the water as both ships explode in an enormous ball of flame. He looks up at the burning wreckage and quips, "Oh yeah? Well I'm taller!" Roll credits.

Ryan McKeefery

Ryan McKeefery

Spectacular, Peter!
And you managed to make it far better than Cameron's Titanic in less than five minutes!

And without ripping off as many other films as he did.

Bravo!

P

Peter Spielvogel

Ya, how many films was that? Matrix, Speed, Enemy Below/Action in the Atlantic....maybe The Ring and Walker, Texas Ranger... not too shabby ;-)

J

Jim Kalafus

>He looks up at the burning wreckage and quips, "Oh yeah? Well I'm taller!" Roll credits.

>but it would start a long string of malfunctions which would lead to the whole ship disintigrating in a string of spectacular explosions which the "Good Guy" somehow survives without a scratch.

Before the credits roll, a final shot of Jack and Rose standing triumphantly on the ice field watching the rescue helicopters approaching from the East backlit against the rising sun would be nice.

Since I am a fan of Jaws, if Cal HAD to die, I would have enjoyed a sequence in which Jack wrestled the gun away from Cal, jammed a dive tank into his mouth and then shot it from a distance (after saying "Smile, you Son of a B") sending Cal upward in a fountain of gore.

Since gay-themed is presently on the menu in Hollywood, perhaps an ending in which Cal admits the underlying reason for his hostility and the ongoing game of cat-and-mouse that he and Jack play through the central portion of the film is in order. Freed of his "dark secret," and the burden of his ghastly fiancee, he becomes a lot more easygoing and fun to be with, and sacrifices his own life so that Jack can float to safety on the panel. Jack, for his part, after a period of "exploration" ages to be as perky an old timer as Rose, and one day is watching TV at his winter home in Key West when he sees news footage regarding a certain item he and Cal shared being recovered from the wreck. Memories come flooding back, and the film suddenly flashes back to 1912.

There is a film obscurity from the 1970s called "Cycle Vixens" which has the ultimate oddball "we couldn't think of a way to end this film" ending: a character who wasn't in the film up until that point other than a brief shot in a scene early on in the expository footage, suddenly steps into the screen and for no reason guns down the entire cast. After the "WHAT THE....?" effect wears off, one begins to ponder how neat it would be to introduce that character to other films: Maria and the Von Trapp brats run across a field in Austria singing and suddenly the killer from Cycle Vixens enters the screen and guns them down; just at the moment when the interaction between Elliot and ET is at it most heartwrenching, the Terminator from Cycle Vixens enters the screen; Ferris Bueller is all full of life and singing Twist and Shout in that parade and suddenly; and, of course, Babe and whatever Patrick Swayze's character in Dirty Dancing was named, are having that final romantic dance to "The Time of our Lives" when their bliss is forever spoiled by the harsh cry of a sawed-off shotgun. In that spirit, just as the dinner party sequence in Titanic is in full congeal (and certain audience members are praying for death having spent close to six hours onscreen running time with Rose and the iceberg is STILL nowhere in sight) the mystery last minute killer psycho from Cycle Vixens enters the dining room and guns the whole table down, freeing up the plot to move forward at a good pace and give the audience what they paid to see~ the Titanic.

R

Robert T. Paige

>>As the Renault is lifted off Cal, Rose gets knocked off the dock and drowns. Jack drowns trying to save her.<<

Well...there goes the whole plot ! How in the world are you gonna make a movie out of it from there on ? (LOL)

Dave Gittins

Dave Gittins

Just go on to tell the true story of the ship and the real people on board. Without Jack and Rose, there's room for all sorts of good things. You could even drag in Californian and start a brawl in the cinemas.

M

Mindy Deckard

I look at it this way: if I were Rose I would have killed him when he hit me. He would have been thrown overboard...and lets all hope he would have sunk straight to the bottom.

D

Diego Uriol

Hello,
I think the best way Cal would have died is: Cal runs after Jack and Rose to kill them with the gun; the three people enter the flooding reception room and Cal knows water is raising, but he continues running for them. There are not bullets on the pistol anymore, but he insists on catching them, so he goes down to E Deck, to another flooding corridor. Jack and Rose don't pay attention to the little boy and they continue escaping. Cal runs but he falls down to the floor and don't realizes where they have gone. the father of the kid appears and while Cal is standing up, the door opens pushed by water and catches the father, the boy and him. He finally dies drown and never reaches Jack and Rose.
Diego

S

sharon rutman

I once posted this idea a while back, but this is the only way Cal should have gone. After the sinking Cal should have been stigamatized and ostracized by polite society. After all, he was a white Anglo Saxon male and, due to his superior status as such, it was his duty to have gone with the ship. Having failed to do so, he should have blown his brains out when he realized polite society would never accept him again and would brand him as a coward forever and ever.

G

Gaetane Catanzaro

As he was pushing people off getting into the lifeboat, Fabrizio could have knocked Cal into the water and as the funnel was falling it could have crushed Cal instead of Fabrizio!

M

Marshall Garvey

As someone who watches the film religiously, I'm going to give a "boring" suggestion and just have him freeze to death in Collapsible A in which he was saved. Maybe feature R. Norris Williams tossing him overboard after he croaks? And for the record there's no way he should replace Fabrizio in the funnel-crushing contest. Fabrizio is so incredibly annoying and, long as he lasts, deserves to go out that way in my opinion.

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

>>Maybe feature R. Norris Williams tossing him overboard after he croaks?<<

How about before he croaks?
Evil