How can I find out out how much the tickets cost

K

kay clough

i would like to find out how much 1st 2nd and third class tickets cost,in general, why did some people pay different prices

A

Alora Robinson

Why wasn't there enough lifeboats to hold all the passengers on board?

L

Linda Johnson

First I would like to thank the two people that gave my daughter and I info on Ms Sarah Roth. Now, her school project requires her to make a brochure
We need information on cost of passage (all Classes) meals, brief room discriptions,and other perks.Is there a copy of the original brochure on any web site??? Also, for my curosity, when was the titanic supposed to land in the U.S.A.
Let us thank you in advance. Linda and Richelle.

G

Gheni Leigh

The Titanic was supposed to land in New York on April 18th.....I think.....LOL

M

Muffet Brown

As I've been trying to figure out the relative luxury & furnishings of various first class cabins, I've realized that there was a wide variation in room size & number of people
staying in cabins in first class which affects the ticket price right off the bat. Some
people bought tickets for their families & servants, and some traveled alone.
Some suites had wide beds, multiple bedrooms, their own bathrooms & wardrobe rooms, while some staterooms just had one bed and maybe a sofa, with everything in
between. And, apparently from the White Star Line brochure on Titanic's
accommodations, there was a range of first class decor, from very plain, white paneled
rooms with wicker furniture, (Fr. Browne's being an example) to all the suites, I think,
being embellished with period-styled moldings, trims & fancy wallpapers and furniture to match.
Next, as in current ships, which deck you were on made a difference, even within first
class. If you had A or B deck, you might have had larger windows, and a smoother,
quieter ride than E deck where you're closer to the water & the workings of the ship.
Lastly I understood from a conversation with historian Charles Haas that many first
class tickets bought relatively late were heavily discounted, just as cruise lines do now.
Thank goodness that ship had alot of empty cablns that night!
I've wondered about the decor of staterooms B1 & B2, the two most likely cabins Molly
Brown would have occupied. They are not suites, have small wardrobe cabinets, and
entailed using a bathroom down the hall, but they are very large in floorspace, so I'm
guessing they got the special decoration.

M

Magnar Vikoeren

Hello !

I think one of the reason why different passengers paid different prices has something to do with origin and final destinations. Most agents
sold tickets for the whole journey, i.e. tickets to Southampton and train tickets westwards from New York.
For instance for a 3rd Class ticket from Oslo or Gothenburgh to Chicago, the Transatlantic portion was as little as £4 15sh and 6d.

I have seen a Titanic AD for the return that never took place (sailing date planned to April 20th) and the 3rd class fares announced as follows,
Southampton, London and Glasgow at $36.25
Copenhagen, Oslo and Gothenburg at $41.50
Stockholm $44.50 and Hamburg $45.00,
to mention a few.

If you take time to study the passenger lists for
any of the 3 classes, you will find that many are
listet with the fare they actually paid.

Rgds Magnar

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
Hello,
I have always wondered why some second class passengers paid so much for their rooms. For instance, Samuel Herman paid 65 pounds for his room Couldn't he have travelled 1st?
David.

Dec 6, 2000
Hi David,

Samuel Hermann only paid 13 pounds for himself. His ticket cost 65 pounds, but that was for 5 passengers: himself, his wife, his 2 daughters and George Sweet. While 13 pounds was the basis 2nd Class Fare some seem to have only p(aid 10 pounds 10s. In 1st Class the Minimum fare was 26 pounds. You need to look at how many passengers were travelling on a particular ticket. That applies to all 3 classes.

I hope this helps,
Lester

M

Mette Hjermind McCall

Hi Lester,

I've taken a summer break in my Titanic research, but now I am back on track (hopefully). I am still writing about the Danish passengers, currently the three Hansens (Claus Peter, Jenny and Henry), according to my information they paid 14£ for the tickets. Now, could that have included all the three of them - with the additional journey from Denmark to Southhampton?
I am also wondering how much 14£ would be today, does anyone know? Was the British pound worth more than the dollar back in those days as well? It would be interesting to get an idea of how much money they actually had to come up with.
Best,
Mette McCall

Dec 6, 2000
Hi Mette,

Welcome back. According to the Contract Ticket List, Claus and Jenny travelled on ticket number 350026. Cost £14.2.2. Henrik travelled on ticket number 350025. Cost £7.17.1; with an amount of 16/- in a column that was originally headed: Cost of Inland Ticket.

I hope that helps,
Lester

Mar 28, 2002
To get a comparable price for today, am I right in thinking that you have to multiply the 1912 figure by 18? For example, the minimum first class fare of £26 in 1912 would cost £468 today?

Cheers,

Boz

R

Robin Emery

Neither are even close. In 1912 there were 5 dollars to the pound. The index in 1912 is 16.8. Therefore, each pound in 1912 would be equal to $84.00 today. A 26 pound ticket back then would now cost about $2,200.00 or about 1,500
pounds

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Robin, it's your own calculation that isn't even close. You've ignored the effect of the changing exchange rate, thereby ending up with a (modern equivalent) price which is about three times too high. Iain's figure for the price in pounds is about right. Adjust that by the CURRENT exchange rate if you want the equivalent in US dollars.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Iain, if it were possible to travel today on a liner like the Titanic we'd have to allow also for the fact that most of the running cost of the ship (and also of building it) was down to the cost of labour, and wages have increased at a rate far greater than the basic adustment rate of the value of the pound or dollar.

In 1912 the Titanic's passengers were serviced by an army of stewards, for instance, who worked very long hours for less than £1 a week. Who would do that work today for the equivalent rate of about £15?

So if anybody ever does build a replica Titanic and offers first class service of the kind enjoyed in 1912 the ticket price will be astronomical.

Bob

M

Markus Philipp

Hi Bob, Robin,

That's an interesting discussion. Although it is gone for a while. Please let me add my "2 cents" to it.
I have read that in 1914 the relation between US$, pound and German Reichsmark was like that:

1 British pound equals 5 US$ equals 20 German Mark. Thus 1 US$ equals 4 German Mark.
This currency relation has been reestablished in 1944/45 in the Bretton Woods System. And this was maintained until 1969. 1 US$ equals 4DM in those days.

About salaries 1912:
A workman employed at AEG in Berlin earned 110 DM a month. Ferdinand Sauerbruch, a famous surgeon, had 1500 Mark a year, or 120 Mark a month, when he was headphysician at a hospital. 1910 he became university professor and got 4000 Mark as year's salary, and also 3500 Mark a year because he was director of a hospital.

Very interesting a salary table of the stuff of Imperator at 1913, all figures are monthly rates:
Chief Commander - not published
4 captains - 8000.- Mark a month each
2nd officer - 170.-
3rd officer - 110.-
Quartermaster - 98,-
stoker - 110.-
stewards: 45.- to 60.-

I have got another book about locomotive engeneering, published 1907. There is some information about locomotive building in USA. There i found, a workman earns between 20 and 25 dollars a week, corresponding to between 80 and 100 Mark every week. It seems that this is four times the rate of a workman in a german company. But also it is stated, that life is more expensive in USA than in germany (1907), and that the purchasing power of one US$ equals just 2.50 Mark, although the rate of exchange is 1:4.

England: A workman at Harland & Wolff in 1912 had 100 Lb a year, or 2 Lb a week or 8 Lb a month. This equals 40 US$ every month.

Now a draft overview in dollars, just using the rate of exchange:

USA: 80$ a month
England: 40$ a month
Germany: 25$ a month

A third class ticket costs 13 Lb or 65 dollars. This is 2.5 times the monthly salary of a german workman 1912.
Today a busdriver has 2500 € a month, or 2500 US$. For such a ticket he would have to pay 7500 US$.

Another trial to compare prices:
Titanic cost 1.5 million pound. A years salary of a workman at Harland & Wolff was 100 pound. Thus it cost 15000 person years to build a ship like that.
Today a modern cruise ship costs between 300 and 500 million US$. Now we try to convert this into person years. The busdriver with 2500 € has about 33000 € every year.
The costs for the cruiser then are between 9000 and 15000 person years. There we are.

kind regards
Markus