How could more passengers have been saved? [was: Titanica Members' Remarkable Obsession with Trivia]

A

Aaron_2016

Can anyone point out to me why using a roughly million ton piece of ice will not work?

They are unstable, with uneven slippery surfaces, with some parts hard and other parts several feet deep with dangerous voids. It would be too risky and if the passengers thought the lifeboats looked too dangerous to get in then I seriously doubt they would step aboard an iceberg that had drifted so far south and had recently turned over, or was about to, like this one:

There were also occasions when passing steamships saw animal life such as polar bears stranded on icebergs that drifted south. The passengers would have to be very brave to remove their hobble skirts, grab onto the iceberg without losing their balance and also deal with any hungry polars bears.

Last edited by a moderator:

R.M.S TITANIC

Mar 7, 2016
I was about to say that you could just hold on, but then the fact that they flip over blew my mind.
mindblow.png

Reactions: 1 users
A

Aaron_2016

Here is a 1930's video showing ice fields and attempts to destroy icebergs. Also people using them as diving boards.

Last edited by a moderator: