Question How did people from this part of the ship escape if watertight doors closed?

May 23, 1998
Barcelona, Catalonia
On the starboard side of E deck, next to the engines, there are 8 rooms (from E 69 to E 76) that belong to second class that are between two WTD (in red in the picture). If this two WTD were closed, how would people who were in this part of the ship move away? I can't see any stairs going up or down, connecting them to another section of the ship. The only possible way I see is through what I think is a door? (in blue in the picture) but it seems to go into the engine?

Does anyone know if there's another way out that I'm missing? And if the way out is through the door to the engines then was there a footbridge there or what exactly would they find behind the door?

Thanks everyone!

Captura de Pantalla 2021-05-14 a les 22.46.14.png

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
On the starboard side of E deck, next to the engines, there are 8 rooms (from E 69 to E 76) that belong to second class that are between two WTD (in red in the picture). If this two WTD were closed, how would people who were in this part of the ship move away? I can't see any stairs going up or down, connecting them to another section of the ship. The only possible way I see is through what I think is a door? (in blue in the picture) but it seems to go into the engine?

Does anyone know if there's another way out that I'm missing? And if the way out is through the door to the engines then was there a footbridge there or what exactly would they find behind the door?

Thanks everyone!

View attachment 76663
the Stewards, Joseph Thomas Wheat in the group if I remember correctly, made sure all the passengers were out before closing the WTDs

Reactions: 1 user

Thomas Krom

Nov 22, 2017

Thanks everyone!

View attachment 76663
The reciprocating engine casing was the only way up, yes. It had the advantage of leading them directly to the boat deck. Each watertight compartment that was accessible to people had a way out.

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
In that picture, what is that structure between E79 and the engine casing? It looks like a staircase leading down from D-deck (I assumed that by the just visible 'D' at the top), which meant that it also led up there. It appears to be opening into the common corridor for E69 to E76 on their side of the WTD.

If so, all they had to do was to climb up those stairs to the next deck and so on.

Thomas Krom

Nov 22, 2017
In that picture, what is that structure between E79 and the engine casing? It looks like a staircase leading down from D-deck (I assumed that by the just visible 'D' at the top), which meant that it also led up there. It appears to be opening into the common corridor for E69 to E76 on their side of the WTD.

If so, all they had to do was to climb up those stairs to the next deck and so on.
That stairwell is only accessable from the port side of the ship. It connects the long working alleyway (or Scotland road) to the engineers quarters on the starboard side. There was a horizontal watertight door in front of the corridor leading to the small alleyway.

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
That stairwell is only accessable from the port side of the ship. It connects the long working alleyway (or Scotland road) to the engineers quarters on the starboard side. There was a horizontal watertight door in front of the corridor leading to the small alleyway.
Can you explain that in detail please? I checked the part shown on BB's deck plans and the staircase appears to bottom out into the common corridor for E69 to E76. At the other end it leads up to the Engineer's Entrance but above that on the D-deck is the 1st & 2nd Class galley.

So, to repeat Max's question, IF the two WTDs he marked in red were closed, would anyone remaining in E69 to E76 be trapped?

PS: In the profile diagram of BB's plans, there appears to be a spiral staircase going up from the engineer's passage.

Last edited:

bee

Aug 7, 2018
This staircase is physically adjacent to the section of cabins we're discussing, but if you were to face the staircase from the cabins' corridor you would see a wall. Beyond the wall you would be standing on the same level as the part of the staircase where the 'D' is inscribed on the deck plan. The arrow pointing "toward you" and the stairs associated would descend below the level of your feet to the engineers' cabins on F deck directly below the group of E deck cabins we're discussing

Reactions: 1 users

Thomas Krom

Nov 22, 2017
Can you explain that in detail please? I checked the part shown on BB's deck plans and the staircase appears to bottom out into the common corridor for E69 to E76. At the other end it leads up to the Engineer's Entrance but above that on the D-deck is the 1st & 2nd Class galley.
1621078583517.png

I refer to this corridor here. There is no stairwell leading up the first and second class galley from there.
So, to repeat Max's question, IF the two WTDs he marked in red were closed, would anyone remaining in E69 to E76 be trapped?
No, they would take the reciprocating engine casing up to the boat deck. The reciprocating engine casing consisted of catwalks leading to the tank rooms to the boat deck.
1621078899010.png

1621078939708.png

1621078990420.png

1621079021900.png

Reactions: 2 users

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
Thanks Bee and Thomas.
No, they would take the reciprocating engine casing up to the boat deck. The reciprocating engine casing consisted of catwalks leading to the tank rooms to the boat deck.

That path looks as if it would be a bit daunting for someone senior or even slightly physically challenged. I don't suppose those issues were too much of a consideration in those days?

May 23, 1998
Barcelona, Catalonia
View attachment 76673
I refer to this corridor here. There is no stairwell leading up the first and second class galley from there.

View attachment 76674
View attachment 76675
View attachment 76676
View attachment 76677
Wow! I love this pictures because the deckplans show most things in detail but they don't show all the catwalks going over the furnaces and engine. Where did you get this pictures from?

Thomas Krom

Nov 22, 2017
Wow! I love this pictures because the deckplans show most things in detail but they don't show all the catwalks going over the furnaces and engine. Where did you get this pictures from?
The pictures are renders which were made by a good pal of mine. He made a very accurate 3D rendition of the reciprocating and turbine engine room (along with the electric engine room) under my supervision.

Reactions: 2 users