Question How did Rose get to the bow so Jack could teach her to "fly?"

White Tallon

Mar 15, 2020
When watching the movie, people easily accept that Rose was able to walk to the very bow of the ship to meet Jack. While there are steps leading up to the forecastle, there is also a barrier between the stairs and the very bow of the ship, with a sign that states "No passengers forward of this point."

So why was Jack, a 3rd Class passenger, allowed up to the bow... and how did Rose, in a dress, get over the barrier to reach the very front of the ship?

I know this is just "poetic license" and Hollywood for the sake of the movie, but how would crew get beyond this barrier, and what purpose does this barrier serve?

Is this a pointless question? Or does anyone else wonder about the design of this feature in regards to crew access to the forward #1 Hatch and other parts of the bow?

Attachments

Aristide

Feb 10, 2019
Aix-en-Provence
When watching the movie, people easily accept that Rose was able to walk to the very bow of the ship to meet Jack. While there are steps leading up to the forecastle, there is also a barrier between the stairs and the very bow of the ship, with a sign that states "No passengers forward of this point."

So why was Jack, a 3rd Class passenger, allowed up to the bow... and how did Rose, in a dress, get over the barrier to reach the very front of the ship?

I know this is just "poetic license" and Hollywood for the sake of the movie, but how would crew get beyond this barrier, and what purpose does this barrier serve?

Is this a pointless question? Or does anyone else wonder about the design of this feature in regards to crew access to the forward #1 Hatch and other parts of the bow?
That barrier is a wave breaker.

All big ships have that

Look Normandy

hqdefault.jpg

yla

Dec 15, 2019
Australia

YOU would think with 3 officers on the bridge and saillors working on the bow that they would had been seen and told to go back by the sailors. Or at the very least officers on the mega phone telling them to get behind the barrier. In the scene you are speaking of, it was like titanic was a ghost ship with only the two of them on board.

Look at this image? Look at all those male passengers and sailors. Hardly a ghost ship. There is no way they would get away with it.

And how did Rose even know he was on the bow in the first place? She left a tea gathering and went to the bow immedialty.

[/QUOTE]

Attachments

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
It was easy to climb over the breakwaters especially close to the rail where it is getting shorter. How female passengers wearing a long frock, no idea. However we know that passengers do that in good weather while at sea.

Reactions: 1 user

White Tallon

Mar 15, 2020
That barrier is a wave breaker.

All big ships have that

Look Normandy

View attachment 48184
Ahh so this is much like a breakwater in a harbor... to control waves coming over the bow in extreme weather. Thanks, that actually makes sense and explains why it's there.

It still doesn't explain why there is no gate that can be opened to allow crew access, but I suppose they just assumed that crew could step over at the outer edges close to the hull where it's much lower.

White Tallon

Mar 15, 2020
I guess because you can just jump over.
Yes, crew can jump over it. However, perhaps it was a sign of the times, but this seems like a rather reckless design flaw in regards to crew safety. A simple gate would not cause a problem with the break water, yet allow crew to pass fore and aft safely. Also... how did ROSE get over it with that voluminous dress of hers??

Reactions: 1 user

B-rad

Jul 1, 2015
Tacoma, WA
As someone who has spent time on a limited number of ships, mind you in harbor, ships are not designed for the convivence of crew or inspectors (as I was - petroleum) they are made to function and you were to mind your step and be observant. I tripped and stubbed my feet/legs on many objects, but only because I wasn't minding my step. I did slip twice due to weather, one close to going overboard, but the crew reaction was SWIFT! Though a fictional scene, it is possible that the crew, having been at sea and it just being 'another voyage' didn't bother with trivial details of a passenger being on the forecastle. I always catch workers letting stuff slide because its not bothering anything - until "S" hits the fan, then they care. I'm sure Rose knew because she made her way below decks again, as the deleted scenes show, to find where Jack was - it was sunset by the time Rose found Jack. Anyway, my thoughts... :)

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 14, 2005
Yes, crew can jump over it. However, perhaps it was a sign of the times, but this seems like a rather reckless design flaw in regards to crew safety. A simple gate would not cause a problem with the break water, yet allow crew to pass fore and aft safely. Also... how did ROSE get over it with that voluminous dress of hers??
Hasn't there been other couples who were hurt or killed on other ships trying to recreate the "I'm flying scene". If so then I guess it would be possible to get on the bow somehow. Where theres a will theres a way I would bet. One would just have to hope the Darwin awards don't kick in.

yla

Dec 15, 2019
Australia
Hasn't there been other couples who were hurt or killed on other ships trying to recreate the "I'm flying scene". If so then I guess it would be possible to get on the bow somehow. Where theres a will theres a way I would bet. One would just have to hope the Darwin awards don't kick in.
How? Modern ships bows and bridges are totally cut off from the passengers.

Nov 14, 2005
How? Modern ships bows and bridges are totally cut off from the passengers.
Just because theres rule against it doesn't mean that someone wont try it. Besides according to the article below some cruise lines let people do it. Although I'm sure they have spotters near by...at least I hope.