How did the survivors react to the inquires' ruling that the Titanic sank intact?

S

SmileyGirl

Yes I’ve often wondered this. I would be annoyed if no-one believed me about something like this.

Reactions: Dan Kappes
A

Aaron_2016

A number of survivor accounts were published in various newspapers and the breaking of the ship became sensational stories.

titanicintwo-png.png

boilers1aa-png.png

The public would have read and believed this version for quite some time. When the final report on the Inquiry was published several months later the public and the survivors would very likely have moved on with other matters. Several survivors might have been irritated that the break up was rejected in the final report, but I think they would have been more angry and concerned by the lack of prosecutions. Nobody was officially criminalised and prosecuted. It was well known that the Titanic was steaming towards a region that contained ice bergs and that they did not reduce speed. I believe that some survivors who maintained a keen interest in the findings of the Inquiry would be more annoyed about the shipping company receiving no blame, and also their annoyance with the Board of Trade who allowed the ship to leave with a limited number of lifeboats.

When the Inquiry's conclusions were released in the press the general media would have moved onto other sensational stories and scandals. All further mentions of the Titanic's sinking were likely suppressed in order to preserve their PR and boost ticket sales up, and the disaster would keep a low profile until the First world war took over the newspapers and the Titanic disaster would feel like a distant memory compared to the horrors and daily news reports during the war. I recall that in 1929 the film 'Atlantic' was based on the Titanic disaster and the White Star Line decided to pull a few strings and all references of the Titanic were removed from the film. The sinking scene in the film I understand was also removed. I wonder if they showed the Titanic breaking in the film and they were forced to edit that part out by orders from the White Star Line.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
Yeah, I also read that the final sinking scene was removed and the ship in the film was renamed Atlantic, which was also used as the title of the film. When the film was released on DVD in 1999, it was re-titled Titanic: Disaster in the Atlantic. Here is its Amazon page: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00000K4YW/?tag=encyclopediatita

I think the 1912 German film In Nacht und Eis (Night and Ice) shows the Titanic's boilers blowing up like the 1953 Hollywood film, but not the breakup.

Reactions: 1 person

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
This subject is extensive research in the ON A SEA OF GLASS of 149 survivors. Far from a straight forward as so many thought one way or the other way. In the pitch dark it must of be difficult to see what was happening.

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Yeah, but some survivors like Jack Thayer said that he clearly saw the ship split in half and he later drew a famous sketch of it, while officers Lightoller and Boxhall insisted that the ship sank in one piece; which the general public believed until the wreck was found.

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
A number of survivor accounts were published in various newspapers and the breaking of the ship became sensational stories.

View attachment 43829

View attachment 43830

The public would have read and believed this version for quite some time. When the final report on the Inquiry was published several months later the public and the survivors would very likely have moved on with other matters. Several survivors might have been irritated that the break up was rejected in the final report, but I think they would have been more angry and concerned by the lack of prosecutions. Nobody was officially criminalised and prosecuted. It was well known that the Titanic was steaming towards a region that contained ice bergs and that they did not reduce speed. I believe that some survivors who maintained a keen interest in the findings of the Inquiry would be more annoyed about the shipping company receiving no blame, and also their annoyance with the Board of Trade who allowed the ship to leave with a limited number of lifeboats.

When the Inquiry's conclusions were released in the press the general media would have moved onto other sensational stories and scandals. All further mentions of the Titanic's sinking were likely suppressed in order to preserve their PR and boost ticket sales up, and the disaster would keep a low profile until the First world war took over the newspapers and the Titanic disaster would feel like a distant memory compared to the horrors and daily news reports during the war. I recall that in 1929 the film 'Atlantic' was based on the Titanic disaster and the White Star Line decided to pull a few strings and all references of the Titanic were removed from the film. The sinking scene in the film I understand was also removed. I wonder if they showed the Titanic breaking in the film and they were forced to edit that part out by orders from the White Star Line.
Since World War I was the first war in which flying machines bombed cities, I guess it would make a more sensational newspaper story than an argument about whether or not an ocean liner split in half while sinking.

What a funny world we live in!:D