Answered How did the Titanic gets its name?

Nov 5, 2015
Which in turn was a natural continuation of the naming of her sister ship, the Titans being fellow deities to the Olympians.

The Olympic in turn likely got her name inspired by the Olympic games that were held in London in 1908, the same period as the ships were being planned.

May 3, 2005
The names of White Star ships ended in "ic" such as Titanic, Olympic, Britannic, etc.

Cunard ended in "ia" such as Lusitania, Mauretania, etc.

There is a story (which I don't know if it is true or not.....LOL) that the new ship that Cunard was building in the 1930's was to be named "Victoria". The ship builders told King George V
the new ship was to be named for "The most illustrious Queen in British History" (or something to that effect) . When King George V heard this, he replied " I shall tell my wife. She will be very pleased to hear this !" ......and the name of the new ship was to be "Queen Mary"

There is also a story that the next White Star ship after Olympic and Titanic was to be named "Gigantic", but this was changed to Britannic.

Last edited:

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
And following the theme of Greek gods is one of the reasons that many believe that the third sister was to be named Gigantic after the Gigantes (Giants). Thus we would have the Olympians, the Titans, and the Giants.

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
Which in turn was a natural continuation of the naming of her sister ship, the Titans being fellow deities to the Olympians.

The Olympic in turn likely got her name inspired by the Olympic games that were held in London in 1908, the same period as the ships were being planned.

The Oceanic (1899) was to have been the first of two ships in her class; the second one would have been named Olympic but she was postponed after the death of Thomas Ismay and then cancelled as the Big Four project was advanced.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
There was no god called Titan,; the Titans were a group, not an individual. See the following message: