How did they refer to her

J

Jeremy Aufderheide

So, on the Titanic was she "Maggie", "Margaret" or "Molly"?

B

Bob Godfrey

Maggie to friends and family in her youth. Margaret in maturity. Never Molly. That name was a fiction invented long after her death - possibly because it had a better 'ring' to it for magazine journalists, scriptwriters and lyricists.

Dave Gittins

Dave Gittins

"Molly" was invented for the 1960s musical The Unsinkable Molly Brown. You can read about the 1964 movie version here.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058708/

If you read the viewers' comments you'll see how badly this movie distorted history and the image of Margaret Brown.

J

Jeremy Aufderheide

That's why I'm asking.

If a friend was on the Titanic with her...how did they call her?

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
As Kyrila mentioned in another thread, she preferred to be called either Margaret or Mrs. Brown.

G

George L. Lorton

quote:

she preferred to be called either Margaret or Mrs. Brown.
I did not know that. Margaret it is then for me. I feel for her. It's stinks being called a Georgie at my age.​

G

Gabby Sons

i thought they called her Molly on titanic, but i heard they called her margaret

Tom Melvin

Tom Melvin

In Denver High Society, she was known as Mrs. Margaret Brown, never known as Molly, until Debbie Reynolds played her in "The Unsinkable Molly Brown", oddly, most Denver residents today refer to her as Molly!

T

Tommy

i thought they called her Molly on titanic, but i heard they called her margaret

Margaret Brown was called Maggie by her friends. She was never called Molly - it was a name invented by Hollywood.