How do I send a Marconigram?

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
So, if I'm a passenger, I can send a telegraph message via the wireless office. How do I do that? Do I enter the officer's quarters on the boat deck and go to the Marconi office, is there a basket or a window I can slip my message through?

Can I just ask a steward or purser to relay my message to the Marconi room for me?

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Mainly at the Pursers office but a steward would also bring it for you to the office.
Passengers did not had access to the Marconi room and so far only Mr. Browne was allowed to take a snap shot of the wireless room.

Alex Kiehl

Aug 1, 2006
Maybe they could have gone to the 3rd Class Purser's Clerk and paid him a small sum to send a brief message. Who knows?

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
I suggest you read the biography of Donald Campbell, Herr Georgie Porgie, before you start correcting me.

Aside from your rude reply, going by the list he was listed under 2nd class clerk (if I remember right he was only listed as a clerk) unless purser Barker had to deal himself with all 2nd class passengers.

Where is this list?

You sure did not expect that I answer your question after your post #8?!

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I have seen Donald Campbell listed (by Craig Stringer for instance) as 'kitchen clerk', but the most reliable source must be the original hand-written signing-on sheets, which list him as 'Clerk 2nd Class'.

I agree that 3rd Class passengers would be unlikely to want to send a Marconigram, which cost around 10 shillings (several days' wages for many) for just 15 words. But I suppose it would be possible. The only reference I've ever seen to a 3rd Class passenger having any dealings with the Pursers was Alfred Rush, who was called to the (presumably 2nd Class) office to receive a small refund. The counter for this office was adjacent to a door connecting with 'Scotland Road', so such a transaction could be accomplished without Rush needing to set foot in 2nd Class territory.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
There's an enormous amount of info in the ET biographies and obviously errors do creep in. I wouldn't want to say this is definitely one of them, but it does seem likely. The only available primary source (as far as I know) for this particular bit of information is the entry in the signing-on sheets which definitely lists Campbell as a 2nd Class Clerk, but does not specify exactly what his job was. Craig Stringer, who is one of the best of all 'people researchers' in the Titanic community, has stated that he was a kitchen clerk but I don't know what Craig's source was for that. Australian researcher Dave Gittins, who has a particular interest in the Aussie crewmen, has stated that Campbell was a Purser's clerk. Again, I don't know the source but I have a feeling that Dave is right. In which case Campbell would have worked in the Assistant (2nd Class) Purser's office on E deck. There was no separate provision for any Purser service in 3rd Class.

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
Well, he seemed to kind of slam me down in his response to my first comment.
Well all's well as ends well, and no need to burn houses over ruffled feathers.

I think he was just stating the fact while he was passing by, and didn't intend any put-down.