How do YOU plan to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Titanic disaster

Feb 14, 2011
I suspect we all have different plans on what we will do on April 15 2012, to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Titanic sinking...
It's still a few years off, but have you given a thought on what you might do?

I hope there is a cruise to the wrecksite- The cruise on the QM2 was apparently cancelled due to lack of interest- but we still have a few years- some people wait until the last second to male travel plans...

I was hoping to go on one of the Deep Ocean Expeditions dives to the wreck, but they haven't had access to the MIR subs for a few years- and the odds of them returning to titanic dim as another year passes...
I might just surround myself with my Titanic collection and watch all the movies...
No doubt james Cameron will re-release his Titanic movie in theatres- interest will spike- Titanic will be a fad again, then in a year or two will fade..
The Mayan calender predicts the end of the world in Dec 2012, so that shouldn't disrupt your plans for April ; )

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>It's still a few years off, but have you given a thought on what you might do?<<

Not really. I'd like to be able to get to some sort of gathering/convention if I can but four years hence, it's not something I can really plan for.

Feb 14, 2011
Ben,is that cruise definately happening? I know something was planned for the QM2 but was cancelled-I'm just trying to figuring out what ship it will take place on-if no ship is lined up at this time, how do they determine how much space is still available?
If I send in a deposit for a 2012 Titanic cruise, I want to make sure it's for a sure thing..

May 27, 2007
I'm hoping that I'll end up going for the 100th Anniversary to New York. I'll go to the Statue Of Liberty and look out toward the Sea and contemplate the unfinished Voyage of a hundred years before.

May 27, 2007
Hey Jason T,

quote:

D'oh! I meant to say crossing, not cruise.
I settle for a cruise. I'd be in heaven to get a crossing.
wink.gif
No what I settle for is a trip to New York City and the Statue Of Liberty. So I could contemplate the unfinished Voyage of The RMS Titanic.​

Jul 22, 2004
I expect a commemorative meeting of the German Titanic Information Centre will be held and I certainly will participate.

Gerhard Schmidt-Grillmeier from Berlin

[Moderator's Note: This post, originally posted in a separate thread, has been moved to the pre-existing one discussing the same subject. JDT]

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi George,

quote:

No what I settle for is a trip to New York City and the Statue Of Liberty. So I could contemplate the unfinished Voyage of The RMS Titanic.
You'd enjoy it. It's an unforgettable experience, seeing the Statue of Liberty as you come in to New York.​

May 27, 2007
Howdy Jason,

quote:

It's an unforgettable experience, seeing the Statue of Liberty as you come in to New York.
Now that's what I thought.
happy.gif
Also Jason, I hope you enjoy your crossing.

Another thing I'm hoping to do for Titanic's Centennial is go to Boston and have a look through the records. That where my Swedish Ancestors came in at.​

L

Lucie Semanská

Don´t you know something about exhibitions in Belfast or other cities in 2012?

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I don't know how many have been formally announced yet, Lucie, but I think many maritime museums in the world are conscious of the 2012 anniversary coming up and exhibitions are in the planning stage. I know it has come up for discussion in the Australian museum community.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Belfast is planning to have the Titanic Quarter completed by then and is working on having the Nomadic fully restored, so that she can be a big part of the celebrations.

Cobh, Halifax and Southampton are also planning centenary events.

Tom McLeod

Sep 1, 2005
It would be nice if many of us could meet around that time, but likely logistically that won't work. I'm torn, I don't know if the sadness of the whole event will keep me away from any aniversary activites or being around like minded folk would be a good idea. Maybe THS is a good bet.

H

Holly Peterson

I'm fairly certain that I'll be in school on April the 15th, but sometime during that year, my parents have promised to take my sister and I to the states to see one of those Titanic museums. I am sure the year will be one to remember for Titanic buffs, but also a sobering event, recalling how 1, 498 souls have been lost to us for exactly 100 years.

Feb 8, 2007
We're signing up for the cruise. They're booking it now at http://www.titanicmemorialcruise.co.uk/.

You should see the looks we get from our friends when we tell them what we're doing!

I hope to meet a lot of you on the ship. We'll have to arrange a "Friends of Encyclopedia Titanica breakfast" or something.

If all goes well, my book will be published in time for this and it will be available on the ship.