How do YOU plan to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Titanic disaster

K

Kate Sen

I`m planning my trip to England and Ireland on march/april 2012. So if everything works out I`ll be probably at Southampton on 10th (I`ll wave you guys on this memorial cruise ;)) and earlier or later at Belfast. I`m also thinking about seeing few other places connected to Titanic.. but it all depends on how long will be my holidays then.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Feb 8, 2007
My goodness, Paul. Thank you for catching that. Why isn't THIS cruise advertised on this site?

The website for your cruise is rather sparse on information, while the "other" cruise website is professional and detailed. I've sent an email requesting more information on the Memorial Crossing cruise, but can you tell me any more about it from your perspective?

Thanks!

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
I would not worry too much, Marlene. It's some way off yet and I suspect a lot of cruise lines will be offering memorial cruises. Fred Olson is a reputable cruise line and the Balmoral is their Flagship, I believe. Hopefully Cunard - with their former association with the White Star line - will schedule the Queen Mary 2. That would be my choice.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
This whole mess isn't Fred Olson's fault, its Myles Morgan.

What happened was this: my mate Mike knew that he couldn't, by law, sort out booking the ship as he wasn't a travel agent, so he approached a local Bristol agent, Myles Morgan last December and they procured the Balmoral. They produced a VERY professional website and emailed everyone. Their website was www.DestinationTitanic.co.uk

Then it went wrong. Myles Morgan decided they didn't need Mike and took over the Balmoral side of the venture. They ordered Mike to take down his professional website, leaving him with the, as you say, very sparse, website.

All is not lost. Mike has all the Titanic experts listed on his site contractually obliged to take part on his cruise. Despite Cunard's initial bemusement, Mike and Commodore Ron Warwick are now in talks to charter one of their vessels for April 2012, and these talks are going well. And, the organiser of a large Titanic/Olympic/Britannic artefact touring exhibition is interested in exhibiting his collection on board Mike's cruise.

Watch this space.

Jan 28, 2003
Mmmm. I foresee several liners converging on the same spot on 14th April 2012, with all of us shouting away to each other on different ships. Not quite the thing.

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
It should not be a problem, Paul. Cunard ply this route across the Atlantic all the time. For them it could be treated as a normal run with the add-on of a commemorative service, a badge, a certificate and show a selection of Titanic films on the on-board TV system. Given the cost, about £2000, ($3000) for the return journey, a table for eight should do it.

Be careful Monica, they might not see you in that rowing boat of yours - it can be pretty rough at that time of year. The calm sea and stars overhead have been grossly exaggerated.
grin.gif

Jan 28, 2003
Well, in the interests of economy, Ernie, I thought I might hitch a lift with that 13-year old Dutch girl who wants to sail round the world single-handed. I reckon the Dutch authorities might finally give her the go-ahead by 2012. She won't mind a slight detour, and I could chaperone her if she's forced into Valparaiso by bad weather.

And if I were to go on the official voyage, I fear I might well be cut adrift for irreverent behaviour...

205320.jpg

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
>>>And if I were to go on the official voyage, I fear I might well be cut adrift for irreverent behaviour...<<<

"Hmm" We don't want any riff-raff on board - I think I'll go in September.
smile.gif

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
No worries, Ernie and Mon. If the riff-raff turn up in force Paul Rogers will be on hand to thin them out a bit.

205326.jpg

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>And if I were to go on the official voyage, I fear I might well be cut adrift for irreverent behaviour...

205329.jpg

Oh, fear not. Tim and I tracked down the fulsome "Jan" from the haunting Valium promo "35, Single, and Psychoneurotic" (which traces her descent from a pert 20 year old on a 1955 tennis court, to a wizened, haggard, 35 year old with flat soled shoes and a clutch-bag, all forlorn and decrepit aboard the United States) to serve as your cabin mate and chaperone. Believe me, my friends, there will be NO danger of things becoming too raucous under the ministrations of the delightful Jan. After 20 years as a Valium addict (during which time she DID marry, disastrously, only to lose him to her The Bottle Is EMPTY mood swings) and 18 years in an unwholesome symbiotic relationship with a deeply "closeted" librarian, she is ready for her first cruise since 1969, and out to party.

Jan 28, 2003
Well, that's another problem, Jim. I simply can't share a cabin with a stranger, which means I'd have to pay squillions for a single. The last cabin I shared in was in 1965 with a seasick girl who was on her knees praying every time I staggered back in. And I wasn't seasick. And she claimed I'd borrowed 2/6d off her and never paid it back. Her devout father wrote to mine asking for it back 2 months later. I'm sure I probably did borrow it off her - she certainly had no use for it - but on the other hand, I did spend 32 hours holding her head on our bucketing way to Denmark.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Which reminds me, Mon, where's that dosh I gave you back in 1936 to buy me a packet of Woodbines? Never saw it again. Or the Woodbines. And twopence was a lot of money in those days. Like your friend on the boat I was sick as a parrot. No good asking for it now, I suppose. You've probably spent the lot.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>Well, that's another problem, Jim. I simply can't share a cabin with a stranger,

"A Stranger Is Just A Friend You Have Yet To Meet"
~Inspirational kitchen wall trivet.

*pause to retch*

Moving on... yes, the problem facing a single person who does not want to play room mate roulette is sizeable. I've not traveled single since 2000. Prior to that, I used to give away the other bed that I was forced to pay for, on the theory that if I had to shell out %175- %200 of the cost, I'd sooner place a friend of mine in it, as a gift, than have "SUCKER!" stamped upon my forehead every time I looked at that accursed other bed. It always worked out well. At the moment, it is very likely that the QE2 crossing marked my swan song to traveling by ship... I think, by coincidence, the final single cabins went with her to Dubai.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
BTW... I find it interesting that as recently as 1970, 35 was viewed as OLD AND WASHED UP. True, she looked like Margaret Thatcher's older sister. And, true, she "never found a man to measure up to her father." (***bleccchhhh!***) And, true, she was taking her first steps towards euphoria and a serious addiction problem. But... a promo which proposes that 35 is one step from the boneyard seems more in keeping with 1870 than 1970.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Jan actually was doing great on Valium until that cruise to Denmark. Losing two and six to a heartless stranger was the final blow that destroyed her faith in humanity.

Jan 28, 2003
I'm having a hard time, Jim, believing that the promo, as described by you, was actually for Valium - it sounds more like a dire warning against it.

And, having raised the spectacle of it myself, I'm also having a hard time getting out of my head the possibilities for fiasco in 2012. Competing liners making a dash for the coordinates, Nearer My God to Thee from different PA systems all out of sync, Godfrey being told to put away his Woodbines at a time like this, me being hauled off the deck for irreverent behaviour etc. And what are they going to do to keep everyone awake and busy until 2.00am? A party is the obvious thing, but hardly suitable. I'm glad I'm not the Events Manager for this one, as the job would seem fraught with the danger of getting it horribly wrong. In fact, everything I can think of to make the voyage memorable plunges wildly into bad taste - from lifeboat drill to an Edwardian Dress Party. I dare say they're thinking along the lines of a series of lectures by 'experts' - most of whom would probably have to endure cries of "Wrong!" from the ET contingent. I think I'll stay home.

Jan 28, 2003
Heartless stranger, Bob? You try looking after a praying, vomiting girl for 36 hours, who clearly thinks you're the Devil's spawn, but who bleats "Don't leave me!" when you say you're going to breakfast cos you're starving ....
Yeah, maybe you're right. I didn't have to say that.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Mon, you are clearly still suffering from a guilt complex over this purloined half a dollar. This has brought you to a psychoneurotic state which even Valium cannot resolve. I know that more recently you have been 'lending' vast sums of money in the sure knowledge that you will never see it again (much appreciated). But really the only effective therapy will be to find the girl, wherever she might be, beg her forgiveness and return the cash. You might then be able to resume something close to a normal life. But in the meantime, any chance of half a bar? Just till my pension arrives?