How far along was Britannic's construction when Titanic sank

Feb 14, 2011
Im very curious,how far along was Gigantic/Britannic's construction the day Titanic sank?
Had Britannic's keel been laid down by that time?

If construction of Gigantic/Britannic was underway when Titanic sank, perhaps Thomas Andrews had popped by earlier to observe earliest stages of laying down the keel.

Thanks

Tarn Stephanos

Mar 22, 2003
Chicago, IL, USA
Britannic's keel was laid down on November 30,1911. She was supposed to go into service in the summer of 1914 but the loss of the Titanic resulted in some extensive redesign. A good detailed explanation of the modifications made to the Britannic and how they compared to the design of Titanic and Olympic can be found at http://www.hospitalshipbritannic.com/history.htm. I highly recommend this site for anyone interested in this great ship.

ADeblois

Mar 18, 2012
Tarn, to answer your question, Gigantic/Britannic's construction was not too far advanced the day that Titanic sank. From what I can see, according to Mark Chirnside's book "The Olympic class ships: Olympic, Titanic, Britannic" Britannic's keel was laid on November 30, 1911 and she was framed to the height of her double bottom by March 12, 1912, one month before Titanic sank. I'm assuming that she was still in the middle of the framing process in April 1912. The good thing about this is that after Titanic sank, Britannic's redesign was a whole lot easier than what Olympic had to go through. Just some thoughts...please comment.

PRR5406

Jun 9, 2016
Maine
Was "Britannic" laid down in the same slip as "Olympic" or "Titanic", or were teh ways cleared out after those two ships had been launched, and a single slip prepared?

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Britannic was built on the same slipway as Olympic. The gantry remained for years afterwards.