How far to Grand Banks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Tweed

May 5, 2002
Just wondering aloud here.
What if she had struck the berg while over the Grand Banks?
What is the depth to which she would have foundered?
The reason I ask is,if there is great difference in depth, I believe she would have been found years earlier!
Wonder how this would have changed the things we know today?
Right off the cuff gang! -Don

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
In round figures, the wreck is 60 to 70 miles from the nearest point of the Grand Banks. The depth over the banks varies quite a bit. There are odd spots more than 100 metres deep but there are also patches less than 20 metres deep. If Titanic had sunk on the banks, there are quite a few places where parts of her would have been above the surface. With all the fishing activity in the area she would surely have soon been found. Perhaps some poor sod would have sunk his schooner by hitting the wreck.

Don Tweed

May 5, 2002
Trying to get my thoughts around this!
So, if she had gone down in say,30,meters of water, some of her would have remained exposed!
Fascinating really. Can you picture the passengers climbing the stacks and waiting for rescue?
Or just standing on the boat deck maybe 10 to 20 feet above the waterline, drinking brandies waiting for rescue!
Strange to think about!
Thanks Dave! -Don

May 5, 2001
Well considering the fact that if The Big T had sank in water that was only 20 meters deep, suffice it to say, it probably would have been salvagable and wouldn't be there anyways...

Regards,
Bill

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
While we are being hypothetical, if Titanic had hit a berg small enough to float in 20 metres of water, it possibly would not have sunk her.

It's a recognised bit of small craft seamanship to get into shallow water in fog. That way the big ships won't hit you. (Just another small craft with the same idea).

Status
Not open for further replies.