How many Aussies are there on this board

Daniel Cox

Apr 5, 2004
Gday all........Im Dan aged 30 and live in NSW near Jervis bay.Just curious on where and how many other Aussie's read these boards
happy.gif

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Here's another one, Daniel. I live on Sydney's Northern Beaches (when I'm not bouncing around the globe). Lovely part of the world you live in - I'm keen to organise a dive trip down there soon.

A

Alex McLean

Dan,
I'm an Aussie but right now am on a year's Rotary Exchange in Belgium. I hail from down Melbourne way.
My best,
happy.gif

Alex

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Put me down for it, Fi - we can down a few Cosmos/Daiquiries/Guinnesses for my B'day while we're at it!

The Beckster has been talking about heading down there as there's a new eco-zoo she wants to investigate (WWF woman strikes again) - she'll be hauling down the fam, and has asked me if I'd go along as well. Don't know when it would be, but as we've already tossed around ideas I'll suggest an October date.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Looks good, Fi - they've made more cast annoucements this week as well. And yes, October is creeping up on us! I'll check and see how the 'expedition' plans are going, as they wanted to shoot off with me in tow to either Tonga or the Cook Islands sometime in the next couple of months...don't know if that was going to be an October date or not.

The car ride home will no doubt be punctuated with mutterings of the incomperable 'How dare you Smith! I will not stand here indicted/Who ignored warnings of icebergs when sighted?'

Dec 8, 2000
I've received an email from someone involved in the production who's read this thread and wanted to assure us that it'll be a great production. (Hello Lee, if you're reading this.
happy.gif
)

I need to look at the dates again, but October is looking better by the second for an ACT jaunt.

Feb 14, 2011
I miss OZ.....

Melbourne was a great city,living there for 4 months was not long anough..
Id like to go back...
and driving down the Great Ocean road was breathtaking....
Try as I may, I can't find any Vegamite up here in the states...By the end I ws eating that right from the jar...

A question- do Melbourne and sydney people have different personalities?

I really wanted to visit Sydney- I spent 1 hiour at the Sydney airport, not sure if that counts...And its not just because I've always had the hots for Olivia Newton john.

The people in Melbourne were some of the friendliest I have ever met....im sure its the same in sydney.
No blue meanies anywhere...

regards

tarn

missing Oz....

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Hallo there, Tarn!

Melbournites and Sydneyites will no doubt tell you that we have vastly different personalities, but I suspect that's an exageration. Certainly when Melbournite Fiona and I met up in New York for the first time we found that we knew the same footy chants and understood each other's 'egg-zins' perfectly (to the bemusement of our international friends). The characters of the cities themselves are somewhat different, dating back to their origins (Sydney was founded as a convict colony, Melbourne by enterprising free settlers), but both are outward-looking and cosmopolitan. Outside the aggressive central business and banking area, Sydneysiders tend to be laidback and enjoy a very outdoors-orientated lifestyle. We have a great many superlative beaches and waterways, and spend a lot of time on the water (I live on a headland on a peninsula, for example).

While many visitors note the friendliness you mention, some also note our bluntness (and either find this refreshing or off-putting). We're pretty laid back, though.

No vegemite, eh? I'll have to send you a care package!

C

Cornelius Thiessen

Inger, forgive me for intruding here but what the dickens is this Vegemite that Tarn is craving? I'm Canadian and have never heard of it
happy.gif

C

Cornelius Thiessen

Thanks Inger..... Michael's hotlink says Vegemite is an "acquired taste" I just made a hard and fast rule, anything with 'mite' in it I'll pass
happy.gif

Jun 20, 2004
Sydney, Australia
Hmm, you'd think Vegemite would be available readily in the USA, with Kraft being an American company and with so many Aussies visiting/living over there. So I guess this means any Aussies wanting Vegemite on their US holidays will have to bring a jar along with them?
happy.gif

A

Alex McLean

All the exchange students brought jars upon jars of it over here. Australia Day on January 26th this year was spent in a French Language school in Brussels with 4 other Aussies. We spent hours eating the stuff. I'm getting my mum to bring a couple of jars over with her in October, so hopefully we'll have enough to last until I go home in January.
For those in other parts of the world though, I've found the closest thing you can get to Vegimite is Marmite, but even that is a little more sugary and doesn't have the right kick to it.

We're happy little Vegimites as bright as bright can be....

Desiree,
I found Tim Tams in a shop in Lille, France, a few days ago and bought about €20 worth, plus a lot of Cadbury's.

My best,
happy.gif

Alex