How many decks

• Thread starter Matthew The New 4th Officer
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Matthew The New 4th Officer

Hey everyone!!

I was curious on how many decks there were on the titanic??

i can only think of 3 the top deck A and B i think i'm missing some am i?

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Yes, most of them in fact! The decks started at the bottom of the ship where the orlop deck covered the double bottom. The orlop deck was the one the stokers stood on. (The word is from old Scandinavian for "overlapping"). The next one up was G deck and so on up to A deck. Above A deck was the boat deck, sometimes called the sun deck.

Y

yurisingleton

Well, here's a question for some Titanic buffs.
What was the height of the decks on Titanic?
Were they 10 feet from floor to floor, or 12, or more?
My reason for wanting to know this is to be able to find some structure that could closely approximate the height of the ship as viewed from the Southampton dock or from the lifeboats. Its almost a hobby of mine now to look at a parking garage or atrium of a building and think to myself, 'that floor there would be about the same height as the Promenade deck was above the waterline.'
So if anyone knows for sure what the measurement is, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Yuri Singleton
Dallas, Texas, USA

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Yuri, I'll have to get back to you on this one if I can. I think there's a description in the report issued by the British Board of Trade Report on the Loss Of The S.S. Titanic, though I could be wrong. It may be in other references I have as well. My understanding was that the hight between decks was ten feet, though in shipbuilding, there are always variations, such as for storerooms, machinary spaces, access trunks, and also to take into accoount rises, narrowing of the hull, and so on.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Y

Yurisingleton

Michael, ten feet was my quess. Not counting the
engine and boiler compartments which were no doubt higher that that. Thus, if the average water line is about 32 feet above keel, or about even with the middle of F deck, then the floor of the boat deck would be around 65 (?) feet above the water line. Divide 65 feet by 15 which is the standard height of a floor in an office building, (I think), and you have the boat deck standing about 4 and 1/2 stories above the water. So my 4 story parking garage is actually very close to equal with the height of the boat deck when viewed from the dock at Southampton. Fascinating!!

Yuri Singleton
Dallas, Texas, USA

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Yuri, as promised, I did some checking and found the data on page 8 of the report issued by the British Board Of Trade after the Inquiry. It was 9 ft 6 in from A deck to the boat deck, 9 ft on B and C deck, 10ft on D deck, 9ft on E deck, 8ft 6in on F deck, and 8ft on G and and the orlop deck from 190 ft forward of the boilers and 210 ft aft of the machinary spaces. The table I referenced also has the hights above and below the waterline when the ship was at a 34ft 7in draft.

Hope this helps. If you don't have these documents, you should try to get them. The report I mentioned as well as the transcripts from both the Senate and British Inquiry's are essential source documents.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Y

Yurisingleton

Wonderful! Thanks.
Yes I do need these documents, but where or how would I go about finding them?

Yuri

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Yuri, The complete transcript of the British Inquiry is available at Amazon.com. They also offer a CD with the complete Transcripts of both investigations, though at over $280.00, it's hardly cheap. You can also get both on-line at http://www3.mwis.net/~breaktym/ It's a website called The Titanic Inquiry Project. Recently, I ordered the transcript of the U.S. Senate Investigation from an outfit called the Congressional Information Service. I don't remember the URL, or the phone number offhand, but you can find it in the strand of this forum that was started on the Californian Incident.

The website I mentioned is free, but you may find it worthwhile to have hardcopy in case sites disappear(It happens!) or phones and power fails at home. They may not be cheap, but these are essential source documents to have.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Y

Yurisingleton

Michael, I can't gain access to the Titanic Inquiry Project web site. It just says 'Site Forbidden'. I may just have to save up the cash and order the hardcopies. I can tell you are enjoying them from your other posts. I also checked out the THS home page. Where is that little museum anyway? New York?

Yuri

T

Tracey McIntire

Yuri--
The THS Museum is in Indian Orchard, Massachusetts (near Springfield). It is very small and located in the back of a jewelry store but it is well worth a visit as it contains a wonderous display of Titanic items.
Sincerely,
Tracey McIntire

D

Dean Manning

Yuri, I may be able to help you. I fumbled uppon the Titanic Inquiry Project site a few months ago and went through the pains of downloading all the transcripts. If you would like, I could e-mail them to you.

-Dean

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Yuri, I ran into that same "Site Forbidden" page,(Grrrrrrrr!!!!) all of which convinced me that I made the rightdecision to buy the hardcopy of the complete transcripts. It won't be cheap, but were I you, I would do the same, if only so you don't get roadblocked by cyberspace protocols. A book can't do that to you.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

D

Dean Manning

Yuri,
there are 57 files total. The size of the files range from about 30KB to 90KB, and are zipped. The format the files are in is word pad.

It's doubtfull your e-mail account is big enough to hold all of the files, so, what I can do is send a group of them and wait untill you reply to my mail. When you reply, it will basically give me the ok to send more(ie:you've removed the files from your e-mail account).

I know this seems tedious, but I think it beats shelling out a serious chunk of change.

Later
-Dean

Y

Yurisingleton

Dean,
That works for me. If you can, send me your e-mail address. I have a second e-mail account that can hold large files, but its private so I can't give it out online. I'll send you that address and you can send me the files there if you don't mind.
If this works, I'll owe you one!

Yuri
[email protected]

D

Dean Manning

Yuri,

my e-mail address is:

[email protected]

and, yes, before anybody asks, 401 is Titanic's keel number, and 1909 was the year construction began.

One more note. I sent out about six files to you earlier this evening. Hopefully you will get them. As an experminent, I tried sending some files to myself, and it worked fine, so, I think this may work.

-Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.