How many diving fatalities have there been on dives to the Andrea Doria

Feb 14, 2011
I have a hunch the fact so many divers have died trying to reach the Andrea Doria wreck is one reason so many divers are drawn to it- Its one of the most dangerous-and challenging wreck dives on earth-
Does anyone know how many lives have been lost divng on the wreck? Has it surpassed the number of people killed in the original sinking?
Are any still down there? It would be awful for a diver to find the remains of a past diver entangled in the wreckage...

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The last time I heard a count, something like 14 people had lost their lives diving on the Andrea Doria. Tragically, one of those people was ET member David Bright who lost his life after diving on the wreck last year. As I understand it, 46 died in the sinking itself.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From Boston.com:

52 years later, ship still takes victims
quote:

It was a graceful ship renowned for its safety. But lying on its side 240 feet below the ocean's surface, the wreck of the Andrea Doria has a much deadlier reputation.

After 52 years on the sea floor about 40 miles south of Nantucket, the upper decks of the 697-foot vessel have collapsed onto the ocean floor, creating a labyrinth of debris. At its resting spot near the edge of the continental shelf, the waters are frigid and the currents fierce. Visibility can stretch as far as 75 feet or as little as 10 and can change in an instant. Divers, drawn to the wreck by the aura of one of the world's last luxury liners and the treasures it might hold, call it the Mount Everest of their sport.
Two page story begins at http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2008/08/04/52_years_later_ship_still_takes_victims/