How many passnger were on both Olympic and Titanic's maiden voyages

Feb 14, 2011
Does anyone know how many, if any, passengers were on both the maiden voyages of Titanic and Olympic?
If so, who were they?

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Jan 5, 2001
Olympic: 1,313 (or 1,316) westbound; 2,301 eastbound.

Some Titanic 'people person' can otherwise help.

Best regards,

Mark.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Tarn,

2,208 passengers were aboard Titanic.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
Jason,

According to the US inquiry, there were 1,324 passengers while the British inquiry says there were 1,316.

You have the number of passengers and crew.

I'm sure you knew that already, but it's important that we don't confuse anyone who doesn't.

David

Dec 6, 2000
Guys,

It seems to me that Tarn is asking for the names of any passengers who were on both Maiden Voyages. Ismay is certain. His servants Harrison and Fry seem likely. Was Thomas Andrews also onboard? What of his Group?

Lester

Dave Hudson

Apr 15, 2011
Harrison and Fry were there. Aside from them, I believe there were no other passengers on both maiden crossings.

David

Dec 6, 2000
David, Are you saying Ismay was not on the Olympic?

I have now looked at the Ellis Island Records and note that Thomas Andrews arrived on the 21st of June 1911 onboard the Olympic. I believe that was her maiden voyage.

Lester

Dec 7, 2000
Hi,

Mark Chirnside might be able to add further to this, as he had a better look at the maiden voyage passenger list than I did, but from memory, Ismay, Fry, Harrison and Andrews were all there. I cannot remember, but possibly other members of the H&W guarantee groups were on both voyages. I know that in first class there were other names listed with Andrews that were part of the H&W group, and they were not on the Titanic in 1912.

Daniel.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi!

From what I remember, all the names Daniel mentioned were there alongside Ismay's wife Florence, Ismay himself, and several other well-known names. I think some IMM names were there. During the voyage Thomas Andrews made detailed notes about improvements to make to the ship, and while I know the results of some of his recommendations, these were sold last year at auction to someone; I only hope whoever bought them will make them available to people in public. Some collectors seem to hoard things away.

I am sorry that I am speaking from memory as well, but I am pretty sure of those.

I think Tarn is asking for these big names and the number of people, which we have established. Perhaps he could clarify?

Best regards,

Mark.

P.S. Daniel did you get my e-mail?

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
David,

Thanks for pointing that out. I automatically posted 2,208 thinking of the total number on board. I meant to post just passengers, my mistake.

I don't want to confuse anybody here.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Dec 7, 2000
I think that Lester is right about what Tarn ment, however only Tarn would know for sure.

We could also go into the crew (officers, stewards etc. stewardesses and firemen etc.) no doubt a whole bunch of them could be found who were on both ships.

Daniel.

Jan 29, 2001
G'Morning:

In reference to the Cabin Class passengers that made the maiden voyage on-board OLYMPIC, a complete listing of those is available via the NY Times archives. Fortunately I have access to this invaluable resource thru the holdings of our Nevada State Library and archives.

Michael A. Cundiff
U.S.A.

Dec 7, 2000
Yes, I believe the NY Times (it's been a while since I looked it up) published the entire list of Olympic's maiden voyage 450+ first class passengers. I also ordered the microfilm from NARA containing the entire list, but I've had very little time to do anything with it. Mark C., did you end up transcribing it or just having a look?

Regards,

Daniel.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Don't know about Mark C., but Mark B. has a copy of the Times' article right here on his desk.

;-)

I haven't compared it name-by-name, but a quick scan doesn't disclose any familiar names.

Feb 14, 2011
Hello!
I started this thread as I wondered if there were people who were on both Titanic and Olympic's maiden voyages. Thanks for the info! Perhaps there were even some people who were on Titanic,Olympic and Britannic's maiden voayges. After all, Titanic survivor's Archie Jewel and John Priest went on to survive the Britannic sinking, and I think they were on Olympic too.

Here is a thought- could crew that staged the walkoff on Olympic have been crew who survived Titanic?

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Dec 7, 2000
Tran,

I think it's unlikely, the crew that survived were still in the US when the strike happened, or if they were already on the other side of the pond they were detained. I haven't got dates in front of me, so I might be wrong.

Daniel.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi!

I had a look at the list and noted some names but I do not remember any particular famous ones, like Mark B. said.

Best,

Mark.