Answered How many people were on board Carpathia when she came to the rescue of the Titanic?

A

Anonymous

And of those, how many were passengers and how many were crew members?

P

pdupree

My great grandmother (Katarina Meder) and her daughter (Laura) had tickets for the Titanic but were bumped to the Carpathia. They were probably in third class.

Seumas

Seumas

My great grandmother (Katarina Meder) and her daughter (Laura) had tickets for the Titanic but were bumped to the Carpathia. They were probably in third class.
I find that story very hard to believe.

Reactions: Andy A Carter and Jason D. Tiller
Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Not to burst your bubble, but that's impossible. Many passengers were transferred from other liners due to the coal strike at the time but I've never heard of passengers being bumped from the Titanic to the Carpathia, or any other vessel for that matter. The Titanic and Carpathia were traveling in opposite directions of each other - Titanic was heading to New York, while the Carpathia was bound for Fiume, Austria-Hungary (now Rijeka, Croatia).

In fact, I've searched the Ellis Island website for any mention of your relatives in 1912 to find out if they were aboard another vessel (as that is most often the case), but all I can find is two listings for Katarina Meder - one in 1917 aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam and another in 1938 aboard the Europa: The Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas Krom, The_Titanic_relative, Andy A Carter and 1 other person