How many times have you seen Cameron's Titanic

Sep 5, 2005
I'm curious...How many times have you guys seen Cameron's Titanic? How often do you watch it? With the release of the 3-dvd set, has that increased? By how much? I'm not doing a study or anything--it's just that many of you seem to be "intimately" familiar with all the scenes and goings on, so I was curious how much viewing was behind that. Thanks.

A

Adam Tarzwell

Well Caroline I don't think I can make an accurate count of how many times I've watched it. Which should tell you its many. There have been times where I have just watched parts, the whole thing.. I saw the film 3 times in theatres and then bought it the day it was released on video in the 2 cassette set in September of 1998. I watched it probably at least 3 or 4 times in the week following getting it. I just could not get enough it. Of course over the years time goes by in between viewings as I get distracted with the other goings on in my life. Buying the special edition TV has renewed my interest in all things Titanic, which has always been there just you know you get busy and other priorities come into play. I've watched the full length movie twice since I bought the special edition and one disc of the historical commentary. An estimation of how many times? Watching the whole thing at once I would say it must be approaching 35-40 times perhaps more. I always find something I didn't notice before in each viewing... there is just so much to take in.

Apr 22, 2012
More times than I can recall, honestly. Several years ago I used to watch the second cassette nearly every morning before school. However, up until the release of the special edition earlier this month, I hadn't viewed the entire film for around three years. And the DVD set has not changed how frequently I watch it at all. I'm pretty much burned-out on the film itself. However, I do enjoy watching the bonus features and deleted scenes on the disks.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Once in a cinema, once or twice on video. Quite enough!

I wonder what the record is for seeing it. Our local record for cinema viewing is more than 130 times.

Apr 22, 2012
130 times!? Wow. I'd say I've seen it (at the most) 45 times all the way through. As I mentioned above, I usually just watched the second cassette. But 130 is just unbelievable. I don't think I could watch any film that many times!

May 3, 2005
I've watched it once on the big screen and I haven't kept count on the small screen. :)
However, since getting the "Special Edition" DVD set, I've watched it in French and Spanish, with all the commentaries, et cetera, et cetera and so forth....and am making my way through all the other special features.... LOL
Cheerio , jnb (aka rtp)

Feb 24, 2004
Twice in the theater. Six or seven times on DVD. BTW, Widescreen Review, one of the most persnickety technical film mags around, gave the new DVD two of the highest scores (for both picture and sound) they've handed out in a long time - they especially liked the DTS track.

Roy

A

Adam Tarzwell

A friend of mine saw the movie 6 times, twice in its opening weekend. He was in part due to me getting interest in Titanic. A local person here I read saw it 25 times in the theatre I think I seemt to recall an article. I saw it opening night, then again with my parents, and then for a 3rd time in April. Only 5 people were in the theatre including me and 2 other friends... hehe. It left then a few weeks later.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
I saw it five times in the theater, including the first December 19, 1997 showing at Hollywood's Manns (Grauman's) Chinese Theater, and a "Tribute to James Cameron" showing in February 1999.

I also saw it once on TV (November 2000) and a couple of times on video, both regular and widescreen versions on VHS. I will have to make it a point to watch the Special Edition this weekend.

Another unique venue that probably few others had: July 1998: after being on a THS-sponsored tour of Ireland, Wales, and Southern England (followed by a personal side trip to Paris), I watched Cameron's TITANIC on the British Airways (BA) flight from London Heathrow Airport to Los Angeles International (LAX). BA showed the film in two segments, instead of two separate films for the flight.
The woman seating next to me commented "I know you'll be watching the film" (we had discussed our travel itineraries, mine completed and hers about to begin). The two of us, along with the woman's mom, enjoyed a mock "Hello Don Lynch!!" at the Sunday deck scene.

That was also the one time I remember people on a plane being truly interested in the in-flight movie: at one point a man about four rows ahead of me got up then started talking to his seatmate. The man received a rebuke ("Will you please sit down!!") as he was imposing on, if not blocking, the movie screen; he quickly sat back down after he realized he was the unwanted focus of attention.

Turned out that in July 1998 many of the airlines were showing TITANIC on the long-haul flights. My parents told me it was also shown on their Frankfurt to Dallas American Airlines flight (they were flying home from a wedding in Germany).

Did anyone else see the film while on an airline flight?

Lily Peters

Jun 18, 2005
I've seen Titanic countless times over the past three years. The first time I ever saw it was when one of my friends brought it over for a sleepover when I was thirteen. I've seen it countless times, but didn't own it until I bought the Special Edition DVD. I think I've seen the film at least a hundred times or more; I've lost count of how many times I've seen it. I don't care that much about Jack and Rose's story at all; I'm too busy studying the extras in the background. I'm watching it right now, in fact!

~Lily~

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Once in the theatre (Christmas Day 1997 - I know, I should get a life!) and I reckon probably five times on video since. I usually watch the whole thing from start to finish when I do decide to revisit it, but I've been known to fast forward through that silly spitting scene....!

You'd have to pay me the approximate equivalent of the film's entire profits to make me watch it 130 times, though.

Carl Ireton

Dec 3, 2005
I've often wondered what it is about the unique people aboard the Titanic. What is so special about them and their stories that so intrigue us. I don't think there is an ocean liner in history who hasn't been probed and investigated like the Titanic. Take this site for instance. I thought I knew alot, but I've learned about the lives of almost every passenger and crew member, what their personalities were like, and also viewed never before seen photos of the passengers. My wife and I saw the movie in the theater five times, and I have the collectors edition of the movie on dvd. It has some really cool things like deleted scenes and how they made the movie, and such. I'm new on here, and look forward to enjoying the company of everybody on this site. Carl

Nov 14, 2005
At least 10 times. I've watched the A&E docu probably 30 times and others. I like this movie. Sure there are some flaws and Titanic is a back drop for Jack and Rose but who cares. Cameron gave us the best recreation of the ship of any Titanic movie. And the background info is for the most part pretty accurate...for that I give him a thumbs up. Besides the story of the fictional characters is an entertaining one. I think Cameron tried to use them to convey the loss that was Titanic.

Sep 5, 2005
I'm not ignoring you all since I posed the question. I just wanted to see the variety of answers. For myself, I saw the movie once in the theater--it was the first movie I had literally seen in years in a theater, since I had been very ill for a long time before going. A friend asked me before going if I could make it through the whole thing, and I did. I didn't know anything about Titanic but was intrigued. I saw it at least twice on TV, but those I think I caught in the middle. Maybe I saw it once from start to finish on TV. I regretted that because my favorite part is the beginning, where Rose sees the picture of herself on TV and goes to the diving mission and sees her old stuff and chats with what's his name. I read the script once on the internet from start to finish, and that was like seeing the movie for me. And I've watched the DVD twice from start to finish and all the deleted scenes and stuff.The soundtrack is currently my favorite music for studying. I don't like to see movies that many times generally--most once is enuf, and there are a few I've enjoyed a few times. I'm in the mood to see it again but won't get the time for another few weeks. So that's me. Feel free, of course, to chime in.

David DeMarco

Apr 14, 2002
Boston, MA. U.S.A.
Sometimes several times a month, then I'll go awhile without watching. It depends, it's an experience, every time I watch it and I enjoy the "voyage: as I call it.
happy.gif

Nov 26, 2005
I dare not even try to count how many times I've watched this or any other T. film for that matter.
happy.gif
Especially this last year, the Titanic bug bit me hard in 2005. Must have been all the expeditions and new discoveries. Very exciting T. year 2005 was, IMO.

Mar 20, 1997
I saw the movie opening night with a friend. Then over the next few weeks I saw it again when other friends were making plans to see it and asked if I wanted to come along. I believe I saw it in the theater 4 times. Then I rented it on video once. Then a few years ago when I got my first DVD player (and new 27" TV), the Titanic DVD was one of the first I bought. I watched this DVD at least six times.

Then I got the special edition a few months ago and watched it again in regular form and then one more time with the Lynch and Marschall commentary.

So I have easily seen it a dozen times.

this may go into another topic, but in the subsequent viewings, I concentrated more on the factual aspects and in looking for real life people. In the process, I noticed that many of the extras would be seen earlier in the film and then reappear at various points during the sinking. In particular the steerage passengers.

The two best examples are when Leo and company pass by the young Chinese man who is looking through what I assume was an English dictionary and who then appeared later, when Murdoch allowed some men into collapsible C.

The other instance was the scene where Leo and company encountered the locked barrier and broke it down. When they were preparing to ram it with the bench, Rose had to pull one of the young women out of the way. This same actress later appeared in 14 sitting near Officer Lowe when he was preparing to swap passengers between boats.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this?