How many TItanic books do you have?

Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

haven't heard of that one
I had not either, till earlier today. Apparently. William Russo is a bit of a recluse, does not publicize his work much and writes only to a select readership. To me, that makes it even more interesting, but the primary reason is that the Whites are my favourite passengers on the Titanic.

There is an interesting article here on ET about them. The highest example life can furnish

A

Alexis Faust

I have over a hundred books and magazines, plus newspaper articals

M.A.S.

M.A.S.

3rd class
I own one: A TITANIC HERO: THOMAS BYLES by Cady Crosby (2012). My mom gifted it to me right now --instead of waiting for Christmas or my birthday-- because she sees that I'm checking out every Titanic library book I can get my hands on. (The thing is, they limit ya to 25 at a time!;)) I have been focusing on books for young readers to start with, but when I get through these I may move on to the others. I wanted to own the Byles one because I have a special devotion to that figure (and they didn't have a copy at the library). I wrote a poem about him after reading Nearer My God to Thee: Story of the Wreck of the Titanic -- the Ocean's Greatest Disaster (Memorial Edition, 1912). Oh yeah, I have that one too, but it was my grandpa's. (I mention that in the poem... Take a sentimental journey with me)

M.A.S.

M.A.S.

3rd class
I had not either, till earlier today. Apparently. William Russo is a bit of a recluse, does not publicize his work much and writes only to a select readership. To me, that makes it even more interesting, but the primary reason is that the Whites are my favourite passengers on the Titanic.

There is an interesting article here on ET about them. The highest example life can furnish
I had never heard of that family. I got this twilight-zone feeling looking at their photos, as if they are alive now? Weird huh.

Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

Well, Percival and Richard White died in the sinking but they had relatives and so there are bound to be some contemporary descendants. I haven't got access to that book now, but will do when I return to India on 1st November. It is an interesting book and the father and son on board the Titanic come across as people somehow ahead of their times.

I got this twilight-zone feeling looking at their photos
Not sure what you mean, but yes, certain photos of Percval Weyland White do give the strange feeling that he's a contemporary man - especially the rather smudged Courier News picture on his ET bio here.

S

Sarah S

I sadly only have one Titanic related book at home, namely „Titanic and other ships“ by the one and only Charles Lightoller. I bought it months ago after being fascinated with his persona for so long, but I couldn’t read it through yet.. this book is really precious and meaningful to me!
I am definetly planning to buy more books that contain more objective and general analysis on the events. „On a Sea of glass“ is hopefully the next book I will purchase. I sadly cannot keep up with the amazing titanic book collections most of you have:(

Seumas

Seumas

I sadly cannot keep up with the amazing titanic book collections most of you have:(
Remember Sara, quality not quantity. There have been thousands upon thousands of books written about the Titanic but probably only about twenty five/thirty or so that actually had something worthwhile to say and are worth reading. ;)

Reactions: Clifford Ismay, Jason D. Tiller, Sarah S and 1 other person
S

Sarah S

Remember Sara, quality not quantity. There have been thousands upon thousands of books written about the Titanic but probably only about twenty five/thirty or so that actually had something worthwhile to say and are worth reading. ;)

I truly agree with that! I would like to purchase titanic books that contain valuable information and were written with sincerity, and not those books that make up myths and stories for quick money-grabs and attention.

Yet I still have a long way to go until I have read enough books and gained enough research skills to include myself in educated conversations in these topics.
And having a large collection of titanic related books looks good in book shelves :)

Reactions: Clifford Ismay
Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

I would like to purchase titanic books that contain valuable information and were written with sincerity
There are a lot of very well written books related to the Titanic. Some of them are quite specialized and deal with specific subjects like the Californian conundrum, time differences etc. But if you wanted 5 books that give a good picture of the ship and the disaster that it met with, I would recommend the following, in no particular order.
  1. Titanic the Ship Magnificent by Bruce Beveridge
  2. On A Sea Of Glass by Fitch, Layton & Wormstedt
  3. Report Into the Loss of the SS Titanic: A Centennial Reappraisal by Samuel Halpern
  4. Dusk to Dawn by Paul Quinn
  5. On Board the RMS Titanic: Memories Of The Maiden Voyage by George Behe

Last edited:
Reactions: Seumas, Sarah S and Jason D. Tiller
T

Tsm2191

Yes, I’m actually reading the first volume right now. Got to the place where they talk about the cargo holds and the mail room. The only reason I didn’t list it is because it is extremely technical, and I wouldn’t recommend to just anyone unless they have a passion for understanding the mechanics of the ship. As to that, there is probably no better work. It’s definitive in that respect.
Also, great reference for modelers

Clifford Ismay

Clifford Ismay

There are a lot of very well written books related to the Titanic. Some of them are quite specialized and deal with specific subjects like the Californian conundrum, time differences etc. But if you wanted 5 books that give a good picture of the ship and the disaster that it met with, I would recommend the following, in no particular order.
  1. Titanic the Ship Magnificent by Bruce Beveridge
  2. On A Sea Of Glass by Fitch, Layton & Wormstedt
  3. Report Into the Loss of the SS Titanic: A Centennial Reappraisal by Samuel Halpern
  4. Dusk to Dawn by Paul Quinn
  5. On Board the RMS Titanic: Memories Of The Maiden Voyage by George Behe
That's a great list, although I still need to find a copy of Dusk to Dawn

Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

That's a great list, although I still need to find a copy of Dusk to Dawn
Until recently, there used to be 2 or 3 copies at reasonable prices on eBay. The book appears to have disappeared for now but you could try Abe books.

Reactions: Seumas
Milos Grkovic

Milos Grkovic

Solo 3D modeller and Artist
  1. A Night to Remember by Walter Lord (Holt Paperback) - gift from Tom Lynskey
  2. Ship: 5000 Years of Maritime Adventure (featuring Titanic) - bought in a Book Fair
  3. Naotional Geographic: Titanic (without an included poster) - bought in a local store during the 100th anniversary
And that's it (not counting planned books).