How many Titanic Postcards Exist pre1920

Mark S Zaid

May 2, 2006
I collect Titanic postcards and there seems not to be a definitive accounting of the many cards that have been issued over the years. I am particularly interested in trying to identify all cards created pre-sinking and then just in the few years afterwards.

I have found three helpful books on the subject thus far:

(1) Titanic in Picture Postcards (2002)
(2) RMS Titanic: The Story Illustrated with Postcards of the Period (2001)
(3) RMS Titanic: A Portrait in Old Picture Postcards (1987)

Anyone know of other books that identify Titanic postcards?

Any definitive list out there somewhere?

Anyone interested in helping to compile such a definitive list?

One thing I am getting real annoyed at is the sale of reproduction vintage looking Titanic cards which have no identifying markings that it is a reproduction (some even with fake stamps!). Love to catalogue those as well.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>One thing I am getting real annoyed at is the sale of reproduction vintage looking Titanic cards which have no identifying markings that it is a reproduction <<

I think you'll find you have a lot of company in that respect, and not just with postcards either. "Genuine" Titanic menus are so commonplace that if they were all combined into a single pile on the ship herself, the Titanic would have sunk right at the pier. It's not surprising that the same problem applies to postcards as well.

I don't have any such collection and I doubt very much there's a really definative listing of them. The single most extensive collection I've personally seen was George Behe's collection which was collated in sleeves in two huge ring binders. It had to have taken the man years to put together. I hope he has it in a safe place.