How much did Ismay pay for the luxury items in 1910 compared to how much he would pay in 2010

Apr 14, 2001
Hi, can anyone tell me how much money Bruce Ismay paid for all the luxuary items on the ship in 1910,compared to how much would he pay if he would have built the ship in 2010?
Thanks for your time

Mar 12, 2011
I believe Titanic cost about $7.5 million to construct in 1912. I believe thats in the ballpark of $150-200 million in todays dollars.

*Edit* I should also point out that none of the money came out of Ismay's pocket personally. Titanic was owned and paid for by White Star

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Realistically, the bill would have been in the hundreds of millions of dollars and simply adjusting for inflation wouldn't quite get you there either. The reason for this is because much of the craftsmanship which went into the appointments was either by hand or by manual tools used by expert craftsmen.

Such arts aren't totally lost but they are extremely hard to come by and the people who can do it are well aware of the value and the scarcity of their skills.

If a ship with similar appointments to the Titanic were to be built, I would be greatly surprised if the nominal customer could even get a handshake for less then $500million.

Mar 12, 2011
That's a good point, Michael, one I hadn't really thought of. I guess you'd also consider the added expense of adhering to modern fire safety regulations, and so on as well. I did a little reading (wikipedia, not the most reliable source, I'm aware) on modern cruise ships, and the Queen Mary 2, for example, cost about $900 million to build. I think your estimate of $500 million for Titanic might even be a bit of a lowball!

D

David Wrightam

As a playwright, I stage my play 'Titanic - William & Mary's Story' way back in 2004. It was a total sell-out. I staged it again in 2009 in a 300 seater theatre. Again, a total sell out. I guess the interest will never die....