How much do you trust the officers' testimony

May 27, 2007
Michael and Alyson,

Glad I caught this!!!

quote:

Those old nitrate based films had a very poor shelf life and have long ago gone to dust.
Mores the pity. We're losing our history when we lose a silent film or any film.

Alyson,

I have seen a few silent Movies. Some are easier to watch then others. They were of a different acting style and almost all have a lot of what we'd call pantomime. That's how the actor expressed emotion and told the story and a lot of the actors went over board with pantomime in some of the earlier silents. Luckily by 1914 a trend was developing for less flamboyant and more naturalist acting. See if you can find "In Night And Ice" on Youtube, Alyson. It was a German Silent made in 1912 and about Titanic. I hope you get to see it and wish you good luck.​

A

Alyson Jones

I try and look for *In Night and Ice*It sounds like it was the first movie to be made!
Thanks

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Mores the pity. We're losing our history when we lose a silent film or any film.<<

I agree. While some if not most of them would be seen as cheesy by contemporary standards, they are still a part of our culture for better and for worse.

A

Alyson Jones

I can't believe that Germany made the first feature of the Titanic,while Titanic was a British Ship. I would of thought that Britain would of made one of the first Titanic feature movie!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I would of thought that Britain would of made one of the first Titanic feature movie!<<

Seeing as the whole fiasco was seen at the time as a national embarrassment, I can see why the British had little real interest in it.

A

Alyson Jones

Yes, i bet the Germans would of loved making that movie,since in two years Germany and Britain were at each other's thoats!

May 27, 2007
Hello Alyson I think the filmmakers just wanted to make a good story and they portrayed the crew honorably. The first features came some Germany and Italy. America was making short films. Although we made the Great Train Robbery in 1903. Thomas Edison was busy cranking movies out at Edison Studios. Edison was one of the first Americans to make film. Then there was Vitagraph and Biograph and Pathe, Selig. A million of Studios in New York. i wonder if any of them went to the docks to film in 1912 when the Carpathia came in and was unloading Titanic Survivors.

A

Alyson Jones

George,where do you come from? Yes,i too wounder if they had video cam filming the Titanic survivors.I know that someone took a pic of Harold Bride being caried of the carpathia cause of his feet being frost bite.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
>i wonder if any of them went to the docks to film in 1912 when the Carpathia came in and was unloading Titanic Survivors.

George me lad. Anecdotally, it was tried. But, sad for posterity, Rostron had the poor public relations sense to arrive at night. Night filming, sans klieg lights, was a hit or miss proposition...particularly at a distance....so although film was doubtlessly shot, whether it was shown or not is a totally different issue.

I think there is some surviving footage of the Carpathia from the following day.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Yeah Michael, some of them were really hokey but they tell us a lot about ourselves back then.<<

In light of the way films are made these days and Hollywood's habit of catering to the lowest possible donominator, we don't have much to brag about. The veriaty may be different, but cheese is still cheese!

May 27, 2007
Hello Alyson, Jim, Michael.

You right, Jim in that filming at night just wasn't done or done where you'd have any showable film. Too Bad they didn't get any they could use.

Alyson, I come from Iowa but stole Dr. Who Tardis so I'm always making trips back to 1912 and other era's. Been doing that since I was 8. I helped Dr. Who out when he got lost in Iowa back in '85.
wink.gif

Seriously, Alyson if you want to see some vintage fun or have any Question just step on down to the Jazz Age Or All Roads Lead To Ballyhoo topic I started. We talk silents and early Talkies and vintage teen and 20's topics all the time.

There are some good films out there being made today, Michael but your right in that a lot of it's crap.

A

Alyson Jones

Do you have an Time machine?LOL
Yes,there's so many post and threads, i must of over looked you're thread!
i'll have a look.

A

Alyson Jones

are you joking about the time machine?
i go and find you.

May 27, 2007
Hi Alison,

Yeah, It's a running joke about me using the Tardis that I have here on ET and Facebook. Unfortunately, I'm stuck in the here and now.
sad.gif

quote:

Look in Topics Gilded Age, Amusements Diversions Thread. Take you right to us.
Sorry Alyson, I forgot to mention we're in the Jazz Age or All Roads Lead to Ballyhoo Topic. That the vintage movie and Hollywood thread and everything else 20's. As I said we need more Flappers! Stop on by and read through all the Archives. If it's vintage we've discussed it at some time or other.

Hi Robert,

Levity is my middle name so I for one will pardon it.
grin.gif

A

Alyson Jones

I will drop in.What does flappers mean?sorry i never heard that word before.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Flappers were even before my time!

They were the fashionable girls of the 1920s. They were notable for daring short skirts, the ability to dance the Charleston and chests you could use as landing strips. All part of what somebody called 'the twaddling twenties'.