How much have humans grown since 1912?

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
I remember reading somewhere that when James Cameron was building the replica of the Titanic for his 1997 movie he found out that the Grand Staircase is small by today's standards since humans have gotten bigger since 1912.

If so, how much bigger?

What was the height and weight of the average person in 1912 vs today?

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
I do know that as of the end of the nineteenth century, the average height for a man was about 5'8". I believe women were just about the same as most of them today( 5'0"--5'5"). I also base this off the clothing and footwear that's been displayed in museums as well as sold at antique stores, that are much smaller in dimension and sizing. Of course the ironic thing about all this is that despite the smaller stature of people back then, they lived in homes with 12-14 foot high ceilings and had this larger than life furniture. Massive breakfronts,dining tables, and beds with headboards up to 9' feet tall.

Reactions: Dan Kappes

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Averages can be misleading. The short stature of many people in 1912 had more to do with dietary deprivation in childhood than genetics. Examination of skeletal remains shows that men were generally taller in the period when most lived and worked in farming communities than in the urban industrial age which followed. They simply didn't reach their full potential in this respect. This was not the case for most of the people who were traveling in 1st Class, so the range of heights at that level of society was probably much the same as today.

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
If it is any help... the expression "Common Five Eight" was used to describe ordinary people in my father and grandfather's times which was Titanic time. It was the norm in my youth, and I'm well into my 80s.