How much of a difference did the Titanic sinking really make to maritime safety?

Nov 14, 2005
If it was his last crossing why take such a risk through the icefield at speed?
If it was his last run how does he get back home?
I edited my post to explain a little further but I guess we were posting at the same time. I understand the return leg was to be his last. I will check on that but I'm sure some of the others here know that off the top of their head. He made many runs thru ice fields. He probably didnt think it was any more risky than the other trips.

Mike Spooner

Jan 31, 2018
Yes I have head captains do take a risk through icefield but only in clear visibility. In the pitch dark with no moon light and ship search light at speed, you can hardly call that clear visibility!
As Sir Ernest Shackleton said in the inquiry. You have no right to speed through a icefield!

Reactions: Steven Christian
Nov 14, 2005
Well Ernest Shakleton is a personal hero of mine so I will bow to his wisdom in such matters. Thanks for posting that. I had forgotten about his testimony at the inquiries.

mitfrc

Jan 3, 2017
New England
If it was his last crossing why take such a risk through the icefield at speed?
If it was his last run how does he get back home?
He was also going to Captain the Return Trip (at minimum). He took the risk out of operational complacency and lack of situational awareness, just like similar human factors led to AF447 slamming into the South Atlantic and killing more than 200 people because a trained, licensed pilot kept pulling up on the stick even though they were in a stall condition.