How much of a Titanic freak are you

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hmmmmmmm. Sorry to hear you had a problem with somebody. Forum participation can be a contact sport at times, if only because of that human element of differing personalities and temperments. Sometimes, the best thing to do is just walk away from whoever causes offence or distress. Some fights are more trouble then they're worth.

Feel free to e-mail me if you wish to discuss anything off the board. While you and I have some disagreements over some matters that will never be resolved, that doesn't mean we can't be freinds. My e-mail address in mstandart@worldnet.att.net

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Apr 22, 2012
Hello,

To Emily: I hear you when you're talking about being young and not able to afford all that glamorous "Titanic stuff". To tell you the truth, I don't want most of it. Alot of this so-called "memoribillia" markets the tragedy like it was a cartoon. I can easily imagine Titanic lunchboxes. There's all ready Titanic mints (MINTS!!!). I generally stick to books and videos; they're affordable, and they offer far more knowledge than a pack of Titanic mints. As for others my age giving me a hard time, I must be lucky; I've never had the problem. In fact, I often make little "crowds" in the lunch room as I sit and talk about the tragedy. They're all amazed at what I know and just how cool the Titanic really is, and I have even succeeded in getting many of them interested, as well. I was even able to get one of the most popular guys in school into wanting to know more about the ship. He now constantly asks me questions, and our friendship has improved. So, far be it for me to ever give up this obsession! That's why I am, and will always be, a Titanic Freak!

-B.W.

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
Titanic mints.....

That reminds me of one of my other passions, NASCAR racing. They've got some realllly odd racing collectible items. For instance you can get a toilet seat with matching toilet paper with your favorite driver's number on it.
proud.gif

Apr 7, 2001
Michael My Dear, (uh oh)

I would be honored to be your friend. You can write me too, at my private email address in my profile if you wish.

I am getting over the distress from last night's letter. I would talk about it and email you privately, but I really don't even want to think about the content of that letter. If I change my mind, I'll take you up on your offer, okay?

Thanks for being so kind, it makes my heart glow. (and probably the other readers are puking right about now!)

Thanks Michael,

Yours - -

Teri

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
Brandon

What a great story, and isn't it a testimony to the Camerons Titanic that people are so eager to learn more. I wouldn't call those who took the film at face value "ignorant" as Teri does.

They have seen the film, enjoyed it and then moved on to the next big release. Relatively few will want to learn more about the subject and that to me is fair enough.

BTW,regarding Michaels musical taste, I'm sure in the states you have TV adverts which use the most popular classical music as background. When I hear a great piece of music I can name it as Rachmaninovs 2nd piano Concerto, Orffs Carmina Burana or whatever it is, whereas most people, because they have little interest in the detail know it as the "Old Spice After Shave" music.

I don't find them ignorant or annoying - they enjoy the music, it stirs them for a while and then they move on with their lives and find comfort with whatever it is stirs them.

I promise this is my last word on the subject ("Thank God" I hear you all shout!!)

By the way Brandon, the Encyclopedia Titanica Society looks like it won't appeal to you!!! :)

Regards

Sam

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
Teri

Sorry to hear about your experience.

I also disagree with some of your views, sometimes strongly, but I have found you to be an utterly courteous and interesting member of the message board.

I condemn whoever was so abusive to you and would like you to know that you can count me in as a friend too.

Kind regards

Sam

Apr 7, 2001
Brandon,

I wouldn't want Titanic mints either! Yuk! I personally would rather buy a book originally published in 1912 or buy a silver charm shaped like Titanic and wear it around my neck proudly (like I do). Some of the "memorabilia" that I see available in my opinion is pure mockery towards Titanic. I've accepted the fact though, that some folks will capitalize on anything they can. And if selling mints tickles their fancy, than so be it.

And Brandon, very good job on creating an audience about Titanic. I love to hear that stuff! See, our obsession is good for something, isn't it?

Sincerely,

Teri

Apr 7, 2001
Sam,

My heart is warming up again. On this Board I've found you, Michael, Addison and a couple of others to be quite courteous too. Courtesy, politeness and respect rank high on my list of friendships, rather than disagreements with others so in that respect I am honored to have you as a friend too.

The gentleman who was rude to me had such a way with words he almost shattered my Titanic obsession to bits. But then I thought of my friends on ET and of my dream to write a book about the life of Bruce and decided to rid myself of this person and continue on with my dreams and my friends.

Thank you Sam, Thank you Michael for being my friend. My hat is off to you both.

With Respect,

Your Friend,

Teri

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
I'm sorry, too, Teri, that someone sent you an abusive email. I've never quite understood why many people think that if one has views that differ from their own, then one has given up any expectations of common courtesy. Being a staunch Lordite, I get folks disagreeing with me, too, but I've been fortunate enough to have never received an abusive email.

Don't let such people get you down. Just hold your head high and keep on posting here.
happy.gif

Apr 22, 2012
Greetings,

To Tracy: I, too have saw some pretty crazy NASCAR memorbillia, as well. You know, Thomas Andrews toilet paper would go nicely with my Thomas Andrews toilet seat! Just kidding, of course, with all due respect to Mr. Andrews. I would truly become ill if I ever saw such things with Andrews' image or name on them. I tell you, these corporate bloodsuckers or whoever the heck they are need to take a moment and think about what they're really marketing something about before slapping an image on a metal tin and fillin' it with mints! It's really sad.

Hello Sam: I also do not consider the people who base the Titanic story on the film ignorant or idiots, either. For crying out loud, I had only read about five books on the tragedy before going to see the movie! Of course, I was all ready a little history buff at the time, and yearned to know more. I am so glad I had this yearning!

I try to help anyone who wants to know more information about the ship in any way that I possibly can. I love being around people who share my interests, and that, Sam, is one of the main reasons that the E.T. Society appeals to me. Here, everyone shares the common interest of the Titanic, and most know a deal more than I do. By answering and posting questions, we're helping each other learn more about our passion, and that makes that passion grow. I've learned more since January when I joined the message board than I knew the seven years before when I started reading about the ship.

To Teri: I, too, am sorry about your harassing e-mail. I'm sure that was a real pain.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

-B.W.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Sam, O.M., seems this ET Society is catching on by sheer inertia. No organisation or T-shirts needed. Just friends with a shared interest.
happy.gif

Teri; Happy Mother's Day! The same to any other moms on the board!

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Apr 7, 2001
To Brandon & Michael,

From the bottom of my heart, thank you for the beautiful Mother's Day wish!!! Coming from my new friends is almost more than I could withstand!! We must really share a special bond with each other for you guys to have made such a nice mention of Mother's Day to me. Wow. I know on this particular thread of "Titanic Freaks" I really laid myself wide open as far as what my thoughts and emotions were, but I didn't care. I have no other Titanic friend to confide in except one, (and she's great but not enough) that would possibly understand my obsession. But you guys here on ET DO understand me and my obsession, and for that I am MOST TRULY GRATEFUL. I think we all owe Mr. Phil Hind a VERY BIG, HUGE, WONDERFUL THANK YOU. Here's my thank you to Phil:

PHIL, THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN FOR A WONDERFUL, HONEST, BEAUTIFUL AND <FONT COLOR="ff0000">SPECIAL MESSAGE BOARD. Your Board (capital B) rocks!

Tracy: Thank you too, for the very nice concern for the abusive email I received. I have not heard from that particular individual since and I have not seen any posts on ET from him either. Thank God! Maybe he found that this was not the place for him. I truly believe courteous folks should be allowed to post here. I don't get the feeling that Phil would condone downright rude behavior on his site, and I don't think his intention was to have rudeness pervading his site either. I will do my best at holding my head high and continue posting here.

One more thing to Brandon: Thanks for your concern about the harrassing email also! Your concern was well taken and noticed. I can't believe the support I have received from everybody! I am so blown away! That individual who sent me that nasty-gram should really take a look inside of himself, he could only be hurting himself in the long run, for I truly believe in karma and things catching up to one.

One more thing to Michael: What is O.M. and what in particular are ET Society catching on to? You have my curiosity on that one.

Very Truly Yours,

Teri

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Teri, O.M. is Marconi parlance for Old Man. A very english form of greeting between friends or collegues.

This ET Society thing is a rather tounge in cheek thread that got started in the "Let's Meet" folder. Check it out! I think you'll get a chuckle out of it.

I agree on your remarks about the guy/gal (Whatever) who sent the nastygram. There's no real call for that sort of thing. It would be a very different matter if you were rude, intentionally provocative, or trying to pull off a deliberate fraud of some kind (And I would draw the line there!) but you haven't done that. You have some deeply held beliefs which we differ on, but what of it?

What goes around does come around eventually too. I'm not convinced that this has anything to do with karma, destiny or any of that, but the end result is the same. people eventually have to take what they dish out. It's a fact of life anybody would be very wise to consider.

I'll e-mail you shortly.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
OM...... I'm an American, but I've always used the term, OM. I even called my son that when he was little. But as I've said before, my grandmother was from England, so I guess the English influence has carried down a few generations.
happy.gif

May 5, 2001
Hmmmmmmm. Sorry to hear you had a problem with somebody. Forum participation can be a contact sport at times, if only because of that human element of differing personalities and temperments. Sometimes, the best thing to do is just walk away from whoever causes offence or distress. Some fights are more trouble then they're worth.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Good afternoon Mike, now that I have gotten my Grandson's 6th birthday celebration out of the way yesterday, it's good to be back....Believe me Mike, I have been in this forum posting business for a good many years and I couldn't agree with you more that it can get a bit hairy but I also believe that there are ways to go about doing things and one of them is handling problems with someone you are having problems with PRIVATELY because I happen to know that this particular thread of the message board is not intended for "contact rhetoric"
~~~~~~~~~~
What goes around does come around eventually too. I'm not convinced that this has anything to do with karma, destiny or any of that, but the end result is the same. people eventually have to take what they dish out. It's a fact of life anybody would be very wise to consider.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you Mike, I couldn't agree with you more
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sincerly,
Bill

Apr 7, 2001
Steve,

Thanks for the Mother's Day wish!

Tracy,

Maybe you learned that from YOUR mom as a child, huh. Do you remember hearing your mom or grandma saying that term, OM?

Teri

E

Emily Bisignano

Michael-
(Just adding to your taste in music.)
I really like classical music also. I love old waltzes. I really enjoy Tchaikovsky, Strauss, Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Pchebel, and Chopin. I also like R&B (Rythem and Blues) and some hip-hop. There's nothing wrong with rap. There are some styles of rap that I don't like, such as gangsta rap. I like the more R&B side of rap. I just like music that pretty much puts me to sleep and makes me drift off to Titanic
happy.gif