How Robert Ballard Feels

Sep 19, 2006
This must have been something he thought of from the beginning. He is brave to go after what he wants but what is sad is that he opens the doors to the potentially greedy. It's really hard to be him when you know this will happen. But I really admire Ballard. I think he's got lots of class and he's a good role model. He's the example of who kids can look up to.

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
Ballard is a person who I can respect as an explorer, but as a human being, he leaves little for me to admire. He prefers to exploit the finding of a shipwreck to further publicity for himself, and then when it comes to meaningful follow-up research on a historic shipwreck, that's when he waves goodbye and then starts throwing rocks at other people if they happen to salvage an artifact from it, even to the point of promoting information he knows to be false.

S

sharon rutman

For what it's worth, here's my response to how Ballard feels--who cares? I just don't like his do as I say, but don't do as I do attitude. As a marine archaeologist he's brought up enough artifacts to fill up museums all over the world then he gets into an uppity snit because he took it upon himself to declare Titanic's artifacts off limits. He's made a mint off the disaster and charges the contents of Fort Knox for appearances and lectures.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>For what it's worth, here's my response to how Ballard feels--who cares? <<

Apparantly, you do.

At least enough to heap all kinds of criticism on him and make an issue out of everything he says and does which you choose to be offended by. Said criticism may or may not be justified, but you seem to care enough to make an issue of it.

S

sharon rutman

Then change the thread. I'm only responding to the topic on the thread. It's YOU who blows everything out of proportion.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
I think it's time for "a breather".
This is beginning to take on the tones of attacking the posters, instead of the debate at hand.
I know I am not a Moderator, but this is not productive, IMHO.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>It's YOU who blows everything out of proportion.<<

Hardly. I've been trying to put things in perspective and without the emotional baggage that's all to often brought to the party. Really Sharon, if you genuinely do not care about what he thinks or says, why bother taking notice at all?

Really? Why?

S

sharon rutman

Then why does this thread exist in the first place? Quite frankly I don't care what he thinks and neither should anyone else.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
quote:

Quite frankly I don't care what he thinks and neither should anyone else.
Then I feel as Michael does: why do you feel the need to mention this??
Others have taken the time to share their thoughts about Robert Ballard. Please afford them that opportunity.​

S

sharon rutman

You guys are absolutely right!!! Bob Ballard is not worth getting the vapors over right? Now I need smelling salts or else I shall positively swoon.

Feb 14, 2011
Dr Ballard played an important role in Titanic history- he was co-leader of the expedition that officially found the wreck in 1985.
But since then others have gone on to explore the Titanic in much greater detail than he ever did- as was the case with James cameron- explored the Titanic from within......
I won't dismiss Ballard as irrelivant, nor will I see him as some omnipotant Titanic being....
Ballard's tendency to downplay the findings of Titanic expeditions of which he was not a part suggest to me the man is very territorial when it comes to the Titanic. The greatest Titanic explorers of our age, are without doubt, James cameron and PH Nargolet. James Cameron explored the deepest interior oif Titanic, and shared the findings with the public, somthing Dr Ballard would never concider doing....
As an explorer, I respect him, as a person, I don't respect him one bit...
But like it or not, his name and the name Titanic will always be linked...

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Feb 14, 2011
Jonathan, remember, Dr. Ballard was the co-leader of that expedition that found the Titanic, and he was in his cabin asleep when the discovery was made....

regards

Tarn Stephanos