How soon did Robert Ballard find the stern section after he found the bow section?

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
If I recall correctly, he discovered a boiler first and then found the bow section; that's when he realized the funnels were off and the ship had split in two.

How soon did he find the severed stern after finding the bow? And how far apart are the stern and bow sections from each other?

Reactions: 1 user
S

SmileyGirl

I think they are about half a mile apart if I remember correctly? Im sure I remember thinking it was about a 10 minute walk on the sea bed between them!

Kurt Urbain

Oct 11, 2018
They found the stern section in the initial discovery, they did passes with ANGUS for a couple days on site, saw the ship was broken, and went over the data on the way back to WHOI, finding the ‘tangled mess’ of the stern about a half mile south of the well preserved bow.

Reactions: 2 users

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
If I recall correctly, he discovered a boiler first and then found the bow section; that's when he realized the funnels were off and the ship had split in two.
Actually he didn't realize the funnels were off until 1986. In the initial 1985 expedition his readings led to an erroneous conclusion that the second and third funnels were still intact on the bow. That's the reason why when he did his press conference after returning his description of the wreck included the phrase, "her mighty stacks pointed upward".

A

Aaron_2016

How soon did he find the severed stern after finding the bow? And how far apart are the stern and bow sections from each other?
When Dr. Ballard was interviewed on TV he said - "We are still searching for the stern. We can't find it. It does appear to be disconnected."

Skip to 1:44

When those first images of the bow were broadcast there was a strong belief that the wreck was still intact and debates on raising the Titanic were televised shortly after the initial discovery.

News coverage

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
At some point I need to upload the two hours plus of news coverage I taped back in 1985 regarding the discovery, spanning from September 3 to September 10, 1985. It has the initial reports that aired on CBS, interviews on the morning shows with Walter Lord, John Eaton, Eva Hart and a full Nightline broadcast with Ken Marschall and Clive Cussler among the guests.

Reactions: 1 user

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
At some point I need to upload the two hours plus of news coverage I taped back in 1985 regarding the discovery, spanning from September 3 to September 10, 1985. It has the initial reports that aired on CBS, interviews on the morning shows with Walter Lord, John Eaton, Eva Hart and a full Nightline broadcast with Ken Marschall and Clive Cussler among the guests.
please do!!

Cam Houseman

Jul 14, 2020
Maryland, USA
They found the stern section in the initial discovery, they did passes with ANGUS for a couple days on site, saw the ship was broken, and went over the data on the way back to WHOI, finding the ‘tangled mess’ of the stern about a half mile south of the well preserved bow.
i always wished they'd release raw footage of them finding the stern. after so much bow coverage, I just want to see long, (or more than 5 minutes) of her Stern, not just the Reciprocating engines, the propellors or the poop deck. any links?