How the break-up occurred

Pac0master

Nov 29, 2017
Scott: There are still a lot of unknowns in there that would affect the best modeling simulation. Garbage in, garbage out.
I agree but having a few missing piece of a puzzle doesn't mean our current understanding of the event is garbage.
I'm a big supporter of simulations, sometime they may be able to give us answers we couldn't know or even think of otherwise

drjamess

Sep 24, 2019
Forest Hill, Maryland
I know I am a little late to this, but Aaron brought up that Britannic and Titanic had a similar experience while sinking, that is false. Britannic capsized whilst sinking, Titanic did not, only having a 9 or 10 degree list to port at the maximum. In addition, Britannic's stern never reached as great a height as Titanic's stern. In addition, Britannic was a stronger ship, it had bulb-shaped expansion joints, and had three expansion joints as opposed to Titanic's two.

James

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
James: expansion joints are confined to the superstructure and as such have no bearing on the hull strength girder. Also, Britannic had 4 expansion joints.

Reactions: 1 users

Pac0master

Nov 29, 2017
James: expansion joints are confined to the superstructure and as such have no bearing on the hull strength girder. Also, Britannic had 4 expansion joints.
I guess his point was the following:

The superstructure is attached to the hull, so it's also under stress.
Spreading the stress on a larger surface area will reduce the chance of structural failure.
Hence if the superstructure is designed to flex better as to help mitigate some of the stress, then I'd assume it's less likely to break.

Breaking the mega structure would increase the chance of a structural failure potentially causing a domino effect

Bob_Read

May 9, 2019
USA
The expansion joints are designed to allow movement in the more lightly constructed superstructure to prevent fractures in superstructure components. The number or even the presence of expansion joints has no effect either way on the strength girder of the hull.

Reactions: 1 user